We require an experienced Mechanical Technician to work on the I15-1 beamline. The position will initially involve supporting the Diamond Scientists during installation and commissioning. When this has been concluded you will maintain the equipment and work with the scientists in designing and installing new components and helping users to carry out their experiments. The ideal candidate will have good workshop skills, ideally with some machining (milling / turning) experience (but not essential) and experience of working with delicate state-of-the art pieces of equipment. You should have an ONC / GNVQ level 2 or equivalent.
During installation and commissioning
- Installation and commissioning of specialist beamline equipment including:
- Ultra High Vacuum optical components such as monochromators, mirrors, gratings;
- Vacuum equipment including pumps, gauges, controllers etc;
- Detectors including vacuum detectors;
- Diffractometer / goniometer (sample orientation equipment);
- Experimental chambers that provide high/ low temperature and or high/low pressure or high magnetic field environments for sample testing;
- General laboratory work, including designing and building simple mechanical devices.
- Maintaining and upgrading existing beamline equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline equipment;
- Assisting users.