C++ Engineer - YouView, London
As the part of TV Operating System (TVOS) team, you will design, develop and deliver high quality embedded software components for YouView Set-Top-Box. You will be working with technically sharp, multicultural, highly-motivated team, utilising best software development practices and Agile software development process. You will work with and contribute to various Open Source Software and proprietary internal solutions.
This role consists of design and improvement of production quality software components in C++/C, software integration, system debugging and running acceptance tests on target platforms. The primary focus of this work will be core Set-Top-Box middleware & Multimedia components in embedded Linux environment.
The role includes supporting other YouView teams and STB manufacturers. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of C++, strong problem solving and issues debugging skills in complex environments.
Technical skills & experience required:
- Extensive C++ knowledge, including boost with multi-threaded, asynchronous and exception safe programming
- Experience with platform and software validation
- Complex software debugging skills
- Hands-on experience with toolchains, compilers, debuggers, build systems
- Experience of resource-constrained platforms
- Familiarity with inter-process communication (IPC) mechanisms and fault tolerant multi-process architectures
- Familiarity with Linux systems, distributions, GNU tools
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Structured approach to work, analysis and reporting
Desirable skills & experience:
- Set-Top-Box, DVD/Blu-ray, Media Player or similar software stacks and relevant standards experience
- Modern C++ standards - C++11/14, Async patterns and move semantics
- Digital TV / DVB
- Platform & Content Security - CA / DRM / Cryptography
- Media streaming: IPTV & adaptive bitrate like Apple HLS, MPEG-DASH, Microsoft SmoothStreaming, etc.)
- Digital Audio/Video media formats: MPEG, AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265, Dolby, etc.
- Linux APIs: Linux DVB, V4L2, Media Controller, DirectFB, OpenGL, OpenMAX, Wayland, systemd etc.
- Linux Kernel knowledge: memory management, drivers, file systems, etc.
- SoC core architectures: ARM, MIPS, etc.
- scripting (i.e. Bash, Python)
- git, svn, JIRA, Stash
Benefits of working for YouView:
- Competitive Salary on offer
- Annual Bonus
- Central London location
- Tech start up environment (foosball table)
- Flexible working
- Free Set Top Box
- Staff Discount Scheme
YouView is a joint venture between the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva, we're naturally collaborative and open source - doing whatever it takes to transform and improve the daily viewing experience of UK audiences. Founded in 2012, since this we have unlocked a world of content and services for over 2.8 million households, combining Live TV and On Demand and cutting edge technology. YouView is evolving its award-winning User Experiences on TVs, Set-top boxes, and mobile platforms.
If you are interested please click "apply now", where you will be re-directed to complete an online form and a member of the YouView recruitment team will be in touch shortly.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959369796