Software Engineer (STB, C++)
Software Engineer (STB, C++) - YouView, London
As the part of TV Operating System (TVOS) team, you will design, develop and deliver high quality embedded software components for YouView Set-Top-Box. You will be working with technically sharp, multicultural, highly-motivated team, utilising best software development practices and Agile software development process. You will work with and contribute to various Open Source Software and proprietary internal solutions.
This role requires writing code in C/C++, software integration, system debugging and running acceptance tests on target platforms. The primary focus of this work will be embedded Linux, core Set-Top-Box & Multimedia components. The work will principally involve Linux user space component development, however kernel space debugging work may be required.
The role includes supporting other YouView teams and STB manufacturers. The successful candidate will have related skills in embedded software development, and Set-Top-Box technologies.
Technical skills & experience required:
- embedded software development in C/C++
- embedded Linux development
- knowledge of Set-Top-Box architecture (hardware and software)
- hands-on experience with STB technologies (DVB, DVR/PVR, IPTV)
- experience with platform and software validation
- experience with multi-threaded software development for real-time systems
- complex software debugging skills
- hands-on experience with toolchains, compilers, debuggers, build systems
- hands-on experience with industry STB SoCs and their driver stacks (i.e. Broadcom, ST, etc.)
- familiarity with inter-process communication (IPC) mechanisms
- familiarity with Linux systems, GNU tools
Desirable skills & experience:
- Set-Top-Box, DVD/Blu-ray, Media Player or similar software stacks and relevant standards experience
- Digital TV / DVB
- Platform & Content Security - CA / DRM / Cryptography
- Media streaming: IPTV & adaptive bitrate like Apple HLS, MPEG-DASH, Microsoft SmoothStreaming, etc.)
- Digital Audio/Video media formats: MPEG, AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265, Dolby, etc.
- Linux APIs: Linux DVB, V4L2, Media Controller, DirectFB, OpenGL, OpenMAX, etc.
- Open Source Software: GStreamer, D-Bus, Glib, QT, Web Browsers, etc.
- Linux Kernel knowledge: memory management, drivers, file systems, etc.
- SoC core architectures: ARM, MIPS, etc.
- scripting (i.e. Bash, Python)
- git, svn, JIRA, Stash
Benefits of working for YouView:
- Competitive Salary on offer
- Annual Bonus
- Central London location
- Tech start up environment (foosball table)
- Flexible working
- Free Set Top Box
- Staff Discount Scheme
YouView is a joint venture between the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva, we're naturally collaborative and open source - doing whatever it takes to transform and improve the daily viewing experience of UK audiences.Founded in 2012, since this we have unlocked a world of content and services for over 2.8 million households, combining Live TV and On Demand and cutting edge technology. YouView is evolving its award-winning User Experiences on TVs, Set-top boxes, and mobile platforms.
If you are interested please click "apply now" where you will be re-directed to complete an online form and a member of the YouView recruitment team will be in touch shortly.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959369871