Traction & Rolling Stock Installation Design Engineer
This exciting role offers an opportunity to provide technical innovation within Siemens.
Working as part of a close knit team the Installation Design Engineer will have an area of specialism and a wide knowledge of our industry especially in regards to retro-fitting train control systems. The Installation Design Engineer will work within the on-board train fitment design team to ensure the installation design engineering requirements on the project are correctly captured and delivered. The Installation Design Engineer will also work with the various Centres of Competence, technology teams and subject matter experts across the wider Siemens business to develop solutions that meet these needs and then with bid teams to develop proposals that deliver commercially viable, highly customer focused bids.
The Installation Design Engineer role is a key role within the project environment, with involvement in a wide range of project activities throughout the whole project lifecycle. This role provides the opportunity to travel both in the UK and overseas, ensuring an international flavour to your knowledge base and, over time, establish a rounded career in a global railway industry.
What are my responsibilities?
- Will work closely with colleagues in the bids & tendering team, the engineering team members in the UK and Germany, project groups, the lines of business and heads of technology throughout Siemens, to ensure that the project installation solutions meets our customers' needs now, and in the future
- Will work closely with the on-board train fitment design team to ensure all project related installation constraints are understood and implemented accordingly
- Will take an active role in liaison with and supervision of third party design companies to ensure projects are progressed to an agreed programme
- Provide key input and ideas to help determine the most appropriate technical, product and commercial solutions within the given geographical and technical environment
- Ensure innovation and value engineering is applied to all proposals
- A key player within the project organisation
- Assist the Senior Systems Integration Manager for installation strategy across the whole lifecycle from tendering through into project delivery
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- In depth practical knowledge and experience of designing the retro-fitment installation of train systems, in particular TPWS, AWS, GSM-R, Wi-Fi, CCTV and DAS (essential)
- The application design of standard hardware in an on-train environment and documentation of the application design for train carried systems (essential)
- Ability to understand and capture installation design requirements (specifications, scenarios, rules, etc.) relating to the subsystem (essential)
- Previous experience of using 2D and 3D CAD systems (essential)
- Working with the Electrical Systems Engineer, the ability to produce 2D electrical design information, in particular circuit diagrams, wiring diagrams and cable assembly/harness drawings (essential)
- Ability to produce 3D CAD modules, in particular of the train cab (essential)
- Ability to design equipment mounting brackets/supports (essential)
- Ability to produce manufacturing and assembly drawings to exact standards and quality (essential)
- Experience of leading/participating in vehicle surveys to ensure sufficient information is gathered to facilitate the production of installation designs (essential)
- Awareness of depot procedures and site safety (essential)
- Ability to produce survey reports, installation instructions, Bills of Material, vehicle maintenance and overhaul instructions (essential)
- An understanding of the approvals process required to modify a train and bring it back into service (essential)
- Read and review requirements, creating written comments and attending reviews as required (essential)
- Review engineering data for completeness and consistency (essential)
- Review product installation designs to ensure adherence to guidelines and installation constraints (essential)
- Previous experience in application designs for maintenance (essential)
- Previous experience in liaising with subcontractors throughout the whole project lifecycle (essential)
- Must be willing to fill gaps in own knowledge and experience through taking a pro-active approach to learning, and seeking information from within and outside the company (essential)
- Demonstrates customer focus in all work carried out (essential)
- Experience of working to industry quality and safety standards (essential)
- Strong and effective communicator at all levels within the business and in front of new and existing customers (essential)
- Demonstrates innovative and creative thinking when performing problem solving initiatives (essential)
- Highly motivated, dependable and self-reliant (essential)
- To work throughout the world (essential)
- Specific knowledge of implementing ETCS and/or CBTC systems
- Proven track record in working in major Sub-contract environments
- Previous experience of using SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD system
- Previous experience of using Microstation CAD system
The Siemens Mobility Division with approximately 3,500 employees, focuses on sustainable technologies for metropolitan areas and their infrastructures. Its offering includes products, systems and solutions for intelligent traffic management, rail-bound transportation, smart grids, energy efficient buildings, and safety and security. The Division comprises the divisions Rail Systems, Rail Automation, Intelligent Traffic Systems, and Rail Electrification.
Siemens provides innovative solutions to help tackle the UK's major challenges. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 13 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices. Today the company employs over 13,760 people in the UK, including about 5,000 in the manufacturing sector. Last year's revenues were £3.36 billion. Electrification, automation and digitalization are the long-term growth fields of Siemens. In order to take full advantage of the market potential in these fields, our businesses are bundled into nine divisions and healthcare as a separately managed business.
Siemens offers a comprehensive reward package which includes a competitive basic salary, bonus scheme, generous holiday allowance and pension. Through our flexible benefits scheme you can select benefits that best suit your lifestyle, including private healthcare.
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.
If you are successful in your application you will receive a new contract detailing the standard terms, conditions and benefits associated with this role. Please note that this may impact any existing entitlements to legacy terms.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959364513