Assistant Operational Support Accountant
Assistant Operational Support Accountant
Reporting to - Operational Support Accountant
Location - Crawley
Reference Number - 35202
Business Unit and Department - Operational Finance, Finance
Employment Period - Permanent
Contract Type - Personal Contract
CiP Level / Bonus - 5%
Salary Range - £28,000 to £32,000 depending on experience
Closing Date - 01/11/2017
We also offer :
Annual leave 25 days rising with service
Personal Pension Plan ? Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On ? scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks is one of the largest electricity distribution companies in the United Kingdom, responsible for operating and maintaining the electricity infrastructure, to deliver electricity to 8 million homes and businesses in London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks is owned by the Cheung Kong Infrastructure group (CKI), which has extensive experience of operating regulated infrastructure operations around the world. The group already operates electricity distribution businesses in Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, and has been recognised as having leading customer service and health and safety systems. In the UK it has stakes in Southern Water and Northern Gas Networks.
Our people are central to our business and we recognise the need to be able to attract, recruit and retain high performing employees with the potential, skills and experience necessary for the continued growth of our organisation.
The Operational Finance team are responsible for looking after a budget of circa £650m. This predominately relates to direct expenditure within our Asset Management Plan relating to Capital Delivery, Faults, Inspections and Maintenance and Tree Cutting across our three Networks. None of which however, would be able to be delivered without the Operational Support Functions such as, Transport, Network Operations & Control, Logistics and Health & Safety, which are areas that this role will be supporting. In addition to this you will be involved in improving the reporting and control of indirect costs across the whole of Network Operations.
The Assistant Operational Accountant will be assisting the preparation of accurate and timely financial reporting across Networks business units, preparing financial management information (including Key Performance Information) for the Operational Support business units.
This is an office based position, reporting to the Operational Support Accountant, however, the role may require travel to other locations across UKPN. This role will support the general day to day administration, processing and reporting across Operational Finance, to support our drive for continuous efficiency improvements and become sustainably cost efficient.
The Operational Support Functions consist of Network Operations & Control, Transport, and Logistics for the whole of UKPN as well as the Network Operations Health, Safety, and Sustainability business unit. The total budget for these areas equates to c. £170m per year. This comprises of some direct APP expenditure but is mainly the associated indirect costs.
- Assist with the month end preparation and processing of journals.
- Reconcile and maintain core systems data.
- Preparation and distribution of regular and timely reports including the main Network Operations Performance Report.
- Liaise with and support the business in responding to general enquiries.
- Participate in ad hoc projects as required.
- Deputising and providing cover for the Operational Support Accountant.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- A part qualified accountant or with the appropriate qualifications and aptitude to facilitate a course of study towards a recognised professional accountancy qualification
- Good Excel skills ? Vlookups, Sumifs & Pivot Tables as a minimum
- Sound accounting skills
- Interpersonal skills that establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly
- Able to analyse and grasp a situation quickly and create well-reasoned solutions
- Effective communication skills - presents ideas and information in a way in which others are informed.
- Experience of dealing with non-financial managers would be beneficial for this position
- Knowledge of SAP and Bex would also be beneficial
- Hold a full UK driving licence and have regular access to a car (willing to travel across the geographical areas of UK Power Networks where necessary)
- Strong spreadsheet skills and the ability to work with large amounts of data.
- Ability to understand and interpret information.
- Able to define and align to the company?s culture and values.
- Offer a high level of commitment.
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a team and as an individual.
- Motivation to progress a career in accountancy.
- Experience of SAP and Business Explorer would be an advantage.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959348550