Digital, Creative Content Writer For Media Production Company
A fantastic new role has been designed for this independent media production company and we are seeking either a full or part time person with relevant experience to join our small, friendly team.
We build things out of wood and show people how they can build things too. We have 1.5 million views on our websites and videos each month. We are a team of six and we are moving into a brand-new studio/workshop in Abingdon. We are a small company and while we give specific responsibility to each staff member all new recruits should be willing to contribute widely and help out wherever needed within our company.
The aim of this role is to create content that makes learning woodworking more accessible for anyone, especially to those interested in woodworking but who are unsure how to take the first steps. This will allow our business to reach a bigger audience and thereby to increase the potential market for our more advanced tutorials. The candidate should have exceptional communication skills. They should be able to write masterfully to convey concepts as simply as possible. They should be able to take existing concepts and condense, clarify and re-present them in a friendly and accessible way.
The successful candidate will:
- Work with our staff to understand concepts of woodworking and create tutorials (whether online or in print) which help beginners to get started in woodworking.
- Work closely with our main tutor who has vast experience in woodworking to help convey his ideas clearly but also help to maintain the established tone and style.
- Engage with our audience to answer questions and celebrate achievements with them.
We use high-tech equipment to help people to better experience low-tech woodworking. The candidate should be well-versed in computer use and able to pick up new systems and programmes easily.
The successful candidate should:
- Be confident taking photos and performing basic edits to photos
- Be able to work with our in-house videographers to create short videos to convey concepts that are best presented in this way.
- "Be able to put together a guiding positioning text, images and videos on a page. We use WordPress so an understanding of WordPress would be an advantage."
Because our audience interacts with us mostly through the internet we use data to interpret our results and gauge reaction. The candidate should be eager to monitor and interact with data in a way that informs their work.
While our company is tech-heavy we also believe that you can’t grasp a concept without getting 'hands-on’. We have a fully-equipped workshop and studio with wood and woodworking tools. We expect that the person who fills this role will put what they learn into practice and that they will manually go through the processes they convey in tutorials to gain better insight and understand the subject in great depth. An interest in woodworking and/or craft would be a benefit. Ideally you will have a degree in English and previous experience writing technical manuals or similar.