Chemical Process Engineer
Chemist - Process Control
- The purpose of the Chemical Process Engineer is to provide a key resource in setting Chemistry Process standards for new and existing production and supporting liaison with customers, external bodies and colleagues to address issues and queries or required projects related to Chemical processes.
Areas of Responsibility:
Chemistry in Manufacturing
- Provides a key resource in setting Chemistry Process standards for new and existing products.
- Supports liaison with customers, external bodies and colleagues to address issues and queries or required projects related to Chemical processes.
- Develop safety procedures for those working with potentially dangerous chemicals
- Troubleshoot problems with manufacturing processes
- Evaluate equipment and processes to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations
- Estimate production costs for management in terms of new processes and materials qualification
- Testing new processes - Chemical analysis of production trials and review of vendor's documents drawings, datasheets, specifications and calculations
- Conducts economic studies for optimization of production rates and costs for justification of projects concerned with plant changes and/or fixed capital
- Supporting Commercial team with technical queries via face to face and telephone enquiries.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of process designs including material specifications, flow diagrams and operating instructions for modification or additions to existing plants.
- Preparation of various engineering deliverables(Drawings and Documents) such as Process Flow diagrams Process Datasheets, Equipment Specifications, Cause and Effect diagrams, control philosophies, shutdown philosophies, HAZOP studies and reports, Operation and maintenance manuals etc - and providing necessary engineering inputs to the other disciplines and other departments.
- Researching new products from trials through to commercialisation or improving product lines.
- Attend regular project process meetings within a team and produces reports or costs for a project
Skills & Experience required for the role:
- A degree or Higher Degree in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering
- Practical experience within a technical department and/or customer facing role - day to day involvement in Chemical processes
- 2-3 years of Qualified experience in process engineering in environments such as Electro Chemical or similar processes.
- Strong Chemical theoretical knowledge and a willingness to research and seek out practical solutions based on sound knowledge base.
- Understanding of chemical unit operations, engineering calculations and principles.
- Understanding and knowledge of PSM (Process Safety Management)
- Thorough understanding and practical experience of Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals.
Precision metrology techniques & electrochemical knowledge.
- Knowledge of Working Time Studies
- General understanding of manufacturing environment and business disciplines.
- Self-driven with high level of initiative
- Goals and results driven
- Excellent organisation, planning, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work to promote and support a positive team environment
- Excellent computer skills (ability to learn advanced computer simulation tools).