Leading the way in the provision of professional HR services to large corporate clients, AdviserPlus is a growing, vibrant company in Bromborough, Wirral. We serve a large range of FTSE100 companies and seek enthusiastic, flexible and motivated professional people.
As we invest in revamping our business systems and broaden our product range, we are looking for a Database Administrator to ensure the integrity of data in live IT systems is preserved at all costs and that database performance does not negatively affect user experience. Much time is spent monitoring the live service, performing day to day housekeeping and undertaking periodic tests and system checks.
Within the Business Systems team, you will be an expert in the database management system, able to coach colleagues in best practice and assure releases of software.
- Providing the 2nd line of support to internal customers, ensuring database problems are dealt with and Incidents that cannot be resolved via database administration are referred to colleagues for resolution
- Monitoring day to day performance of live IT systems and services
- reviewing error logs
- system performance counters
- Checking integrity of databases
- Raising internal SDRs for identified issues that need resolution
- Performing system administration and housekeeping activities necessary to keep business as usual IT services fully operational (e.g. clearing down spurious warning notifications)
- Maintaining indexes, ensuring they remain efficient
- Managing SQL Server agent jobs
- Backing up databases, ensuring data loss and recovery objectives can be met
- Testing backups
- Managing database security
- Tuning live databases, applying the most appropriate techniques to achieve the best compromise in performance
- Resolving Service Desk Requests (SDRs) allocated to you
- Maintaining an audit trail of changes applied to live service configuration
- Documenting local operating procedures (system admin & housekeeping)
- Automating repetitive tasks
- Where appropriate, implementing fully automated “self-service” solutions that reduce the need for manual intervention
- Liaising as necessary with 3rd party software providers regarding support issues and to evaluate new products
- Ensuring support requests are actioned in a timely manner to the necessary level of quality
- Identifying underlying Problems that are giving rise to Incidents, such that root causes can be addressed
- Working as closely as possible with business analysts, testers, other developers and users i.e. discussing problems face to face rather than exchanging documents
- Reviewing new architectures / designs for their impact on database management systems and assessing the risk presented to live service should they be implemented
- Preserving continuity of live service for users by ensuring any database changes will not degrade previously received levels of performance and service level agreements
- With the exception of temporary solutions, ensuring any database changes will be fully operable and supportable in the target live environment i.e. its operation is scalable from a technical and people perspective
- Updating models (if required) in a timely fashion without delaying delivery of database changes
- Engaging other team members as necessary to deliver database changes as quickly as possible
- Conducting unit testing of database changes
- Supporting wider testing activity e.g. running data-setup scripts
- Ensuring the integrity of solutions is maintained by adhering to configuration management rules and processes
- Supporting Disaster Recovery testing
- Restoring backed up data as requested by developers, testers and infrastructure management
- Designing databases and database changes for software releases
- Optimising developed SQL for performance
- Coaching developers in best practice for database access
- Installation, configuration and upgrading of SQL Server implementations
- Ensuring path to live environments databases are as similar to live databases as possible
- Securing backups of path to live environments at appropriate points in time to facilitate recovery
- Ensuring developers and other members of the Business Systems team are familiar with essential database administration practice
- Database design
- Database Administration
- Disaster Recovery
- MS SQL Server
- System Monitoring Tools
- Time Management
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Preparedness to work in both sites and, from time to time, stay overnight.
AdviserPlus is fully committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination, direct or indirect. All employees are expected to promote and work fully in line with the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
AdviserPlus is a Disability ‘Two Ticks’ Symbol employer and welcomes applications from disabled people. If disabled applicants meet the minimum criteria for the job, they can request and will be offered a guaranteed interview. Should applicants require reasonable adjustment support for the interview, please contact the Resourcing Team.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76740728