The award-winning AMAR Foundation is seeking a journalist with a minimum of three years’ experience to join its fast-paced communications team.
We need a great writer and digital wizard who has the ability and personality to deputise for our Global Head of Communications. They also need a knowledge and a passion for Middle East people and its politics.
You will be joining the charity at an extremely busy time, supporting teams who are working around the clock to help millions of displaced people in Iraq.
AMAR is an international NGO working to rebuild the lives and livelihoods of families affected by conflict and instability. For the last 25 years, our all-local teams have provided professional health and education on a sustained and lasting basis, and today we deliver hundreds of thousands of medical consultations each year.
- Job Title:
The position is based in the London Office
- Reporting to:
Global Head of Communications.
- Job Purpose:
The Communications Manager will provide direct support to the Global Head of Communications in the London Office. They will, on occasion, also be called upon to deputise for the GHoC. They will be responsible for digital communications, including the website and social media, and will provide editorial support in the development of materials for external communication using traditional communications channels.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage AMAR’s social media: co-ordinate and implement all social media campaigns and activity, and increase the reach of AMAR’s content through regular social media promotions;
- Oversee the creation and distribution of AMAR’s e-newsletters and manage distribution lists;
- Implement all global website refresh projects to keep AMAR’s website engaging and user-friendly across all devices, in line with the charity’s overall strategic aspirations;
- Create inspiring content and calls to action for website, e-newsletters and social media;
- Monitor, analyse and report on the performance of AMAR’s digital media in order to make improvements;
- Work closely with the Global Head of Communications and other relevant key personnel to generate ideas for stories, interviews, infographics, videos and other online multimedia material;
- Seek new media platforms on which to promote AMAR’s work and ethos and increase brand awareness.
Work with key in-house departments to produce regular AMAR newsletters, Annual Reports and other publications; Work with the Fundraising team to develop material and publicity for fundraising events and appeals; Deal with incoming media enquiries quickly and effectively, writing press releases and proactively pitching stories; Develop, implement and evaluate communications campaigns with the Global Head of Communications; Draft accurate and compelling copy for a variety of different audiences.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Able to explain complex issues in clear and accessible language;
- Able to read, understand, analyse and present large amounts of data;
- Flexible and resilient;
- Able to handle sensitive information;
- Competent planner and able to prioritise;
- High levels of personal integrity and compassion;
- Able to meet demanding work based targets;
- Reliable and punctual;
- Able to pay attention to detail;
- Able to work in a team;
- Very strong desire to work in the not-for-profit sector;
Essential Qualifications, Skills and/or Experience
- At least three years’ experience as a journalist or NGO media professional.
- Good working knowledge of the Middle East, its people and its challenges.
- Experience of strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation of media work;
- Experience in managing multiple social media channels, and overseeing publishing schedules;
- Experience in writing for diverse audiences;
Strong IT skills must include all of the following:
- Microsoft Word
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and/or Experience
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience of creating multimedia content and web development projects;
- Experience of using Adobe Photoshop and Salesforce;
- Familiarity with key broadcast, print and electronic media relevant to Middle Eastern issues.
- The Communications Manager may be required to travel from time-to-time, together with the other members of staff or separately in order to carry out the tasks required;
- The Communications Manager will perform his or her duties at all times in line with the AMAR Foundation’s established ethos and standard operating procedures, and in accordance with the specific provisions of his or her separate contract document.