Linux System Administrator - Linux, UNIX, ZFS, NetApp
LINUX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR - LINUX, UNIX, ZFS, NETAPP - to £60,000 + Excellent Benefits - City of London
The Linux System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure, internally within the company but primarily externally to customers and partners. For this reason the ability to travel and be onsite at short notice when required is important. It is not the case that the individual needs to be in their designated office(s) at all times when not onsite, working from home on some days where it does not affect the efficiency of the business is an option.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in all stages of a project, from inception and planning through to post-delivery troubleshooting.
These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out solutions.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux, Unix, Virtualization Technologies, hardware (including servers and storage), and any other technologies as required. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
SA Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Install and configure systems for projects and clients
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures
- Contribute to and maintain system standards
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that extend the business and promote new capabilities
Operations and Support
The role may require the individual to assist with the support and operations of internal and customer systems as required. This may be done remotely or onsite.
Consultancy / Client Work
- Assist with the specification, design and appropriate documentation of client systems for projects
- Install, configure and troubleshoot project work
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures
- Perform periodic performance reporting
- Perform on-going performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required
- Configure CPU, memory and disk partitions as required
- Maintain documentation and processes used in the delivery of work
Knowledge / Skills
- Systems Administration/System Engineer experience in Linux, Unix (Windows very desirable but not essential)
- Storage administration (NetApp, ZFS or similar)
- Networking and firewall experience (Cisco or other desirable but not essential)
- Virtualization software experience (OVM/XEN & VMware)
- Hardware (servers, storage and other components such as Load Balancers) is preferable
- Five years plus system administration experience as a minimum
- Self-starter capable of looking at new areas and taking responsibility for the development of skills that the business requires
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959240077