Senior Firmware Engineer
We are seeking an experienced Senior Firmware Engineer to join our clients existing R&D team. The candidate will design, develop and test firmware for downhole and surface tools.
Our client are a highly innovative manufacturing organisation that specialise in downhole and surface tools for the oil & gas industry.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Firmware Engineer to join our clients existing R&D team. The role will carry
with it significant responsibility. The candidate will design, develop and test firmware for downhole and surface tools. You will be responsible for the full firmware development life-cycle.
Our client develops all of their firmware in-house. Key factors in the design and development of the firmware are:
* Low Power - most of the tools are battery operated.
* Safe failure modes - tools are run at extreme temperatures and experience significant mechanical strain. This environment can cause unpredictable failures. If a tool fails, it is essential that it doesn't affect any other tools around it.
* Build on existing communication protocols and design methodologies to ensure that new tools easily interface with the existing tool suite.
* Innovative design - being leaders in their field our client needs to continuously improve their products to ensure that they remain ahead of the competition.
The Firmware/Senior Firmware Engineer should have the following:-
Extensive experience with writing embedded C code on 8/16 bit microcontrollers. At least 10 years commercial experience would be ideal, however outstanding candidates with less experience may be considered.
* Have completed complex coding projects in the past and can show an example of this.
* An excellent understanding of the unique requirements and pitfalls experienced when designing code for microcontrollers, especially considering the conditions that our clients tools are subject to.
* Good understanding of digital electronics and to a lesser degree analogue electronics. This includes following circuit diagrams and usage of tools such as oscilloscopes and the like.
* Familiarity with software design concepts and practices. This includes usage of source control and managing software releases.
* Lateral thinking. Having the ability to come up with unusual solutions to design challenges that have significant advantages over conventional designs.
* Custom algorithm design. Good at mathematics.
* Teamwork. Enjoys working as part of a small design team of experts.
* Communicates well cross-functionally with their peers. This includes firmware support to other engineers, technicians, and field staff.
* Prepared and capable of mentoring junior members of the team if and when required.
* Is pro-active and takes ownership of their projects and drives them to completion. Is capable of juggling the pressures of tight delivery times and managing to keep focus on the high priority items.
* Must be able to communicate well in written and spoken English.
* Degree qualified in engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics or similar.
£30,000-£55,000 depending on experience, plus package.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76652031