Digital Marketing Specialist
Islamic Relief Worldwide
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK)
Digital Marketing Specialist
BASE LOCATION: London, UK
REPORTING TO: Marketing Manager
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:N/A
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development agency striving to alleviate poverty and suffering around the world regardless of colour, race or religion. Established in 1984 in response to the widespread famine in Africa, Islamic Relief has grown to be a key, well known and respected aid agency in disaster relief and the ongoing development of people in over 25 countries. It specialises in Education & Training, Health and Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Income Generation, Orphans’ Support, Emergency Relief and Disaster Preparedness. Islamic Relief is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and is an implementing partner for DFID, ECHO, the World Food Programme and UNHCR.
PURPOSE OF DIVISION (IRUK)
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK) is a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) that is part of Islamic Relief Worldwide. IRUK’s focus is strengthening effective funding, mobilising for change through advocacy and awareness-raising, and strengthening programme development and delivery. IRUK works with various partners and institutions, from governments, non-governmental organisations and local authorities to grassroots communities.
PURPOSE OF DEPARTMENT (Communications):
In close cooperation with the other parts of the organisation, the Communication Department develops IRUK’s branding, messaging and marketing strategy.
The department helps the entire IR family to convey key messages consistently and coherently to internal and external individuals and the humanitarian and development community.
The department provides the various IRUK stakeholders with access to adequate, timely and high quality information, material and resources to bolster their ability to convey advocacy and fund-raising messages through visual media, publications, campaigns and websites.
To devise and implement IRUK’s digital marketing strategy, as an integral part of IRUK’s fundraising, branding and campaigning projects.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Regular engagement with Communications and Fundraising department colleagues to design, plan and execute marketing campaigns supporting fundraising, brand awareness and advocacy initiatives
- Member of the Campaigns Steering Group, working closely with the Project Manager for Campaigns.
- Manage relationships with identified external media and digital organisations, such as Google, Adroll, Flashtalking and others.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
The job holder will work closely with key stakeholders externally – such as media companies, digital agencies and service providers - and internally, including the Marketing Manager, the Project Manager for Campaigns, and the Head of Fundraising.
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for helping develop and then implementing IRUK’s digital marketing strategy, operational plans and digital campaign activities. The role line manages a Digital Marketing Officer and also has delegated responsibility for day-to-day management of digital marketing operations and the digital marketing budget.
Responsibility for Resources:
- Responsible for managing the budget for online marketing
- Responsible for day-to-day relationship with media companies and external agencies
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff.
- Develop and implement digital marketing/fundraising strategy for Islamic Relief
- Manage and develop the Google Grants account
- Plan and implement integrated Search, Display and Video campaigns on platforms, including Google and Facebook
- Devise digital media plans for our large fundraising campaigns
- Analyse and report from Google Analytics and other relevant tools to optimise campaigns
- Make recommendations for improvements and usability for digital channels, such as the IRUK website, YouTube and Facebook to improve digital marketing efforts in the long term
- Identify and implement new media formats like rich media ads and dynamic media to create brand awareness
- Horizon scanning for new digital fundraising initiatives, including social fundraising/crowd fundraising
- A/B testing of adverts and landing pages
- Advise, consult and provide services related to the design and development of online creative
- Give briefs and supervise assignments involving creative agencies
- Research and identify third party ad serving platforms and opportunities in the sector
- Interact and collaborate with team members to align digital media with other marketing, communications and fundraising activities
- Build and maintain a content distribution network
- Conduct competitive analysis to enhance organic ranking and traffic generated by targeted keywords
- Maintain and control budgets and oversee payments to vendors
- Manage and oversee the work of the Digital Marketing Officer in support of all of the above
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief’s vision and mission.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate in a Business or Marketing discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience of implementing direct or digital marketing/fundraising campaigns
- Strong understanding of the major technology-driven changes and trends affecting the online media and advertising industries
- Sound knowledge of the digital media buying ecosystem (CPC, CPA, CPM, ROI, LTV)
- Strong understanding and experience of performance advertising (Search, Display and Video)
- Good understanding of KPIS and digital metrics.
- Have demonstrable understanding of Email Marketing, SEO, CMS & CRM
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of running digital marketing campaigns geared towards the British Muslim community
- Hands-on experience on using tools like Google Adwords Editor, Google Analytics, Facebook Power Editor, etc
- Experience of relationship and stakeholder management
- Negotiating and influencing, both internally and externally
- Experience of managing significant marketing budgets and delivering a positive ROI
- Ability to craft engaging copy for the website and emails
- Understanding of charity sector marketing
- Be able to give presentation at board level
- Experience of line and performance management of staff
- Highly organised, with an ability to multitask and self-manage, while dealing with a busy workload
- Results focused – ability to plan, co-ordinate and deliver objectives and targets with a positive drive to achieve results
- Creative and innovative, with a real passion for digital marketing
- Able to absorb and critically evaluate a large amount of information and data in order to make decisions
- Strong independent judgement in managing external organisations and internal contacts
- Google AdWords Certification
- CIM or IDM qualification
- Basic understanding of HTML/CSS
- Understanding of Islam and the significance of charitable giving
- Working knowledge of Bengali, Urdu or Arabic