Principal Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer - (AWS Cloud)
We're showing the UK how technology can make the everyday better. Our people are keeping our customers happy with great service, and our network, which has been named as the best in the UK, is keeping their digital lives connected. Empowered, challenged, supported and rewarded, our people are the key to our success. And the Sunday Times agrees. They've voted EE one of the Best Big Companies to Work For. This is your chance to join us.
Demanding an entrepreneurial approach to new technology, you will support the evolution of the existing cloud based infrastructure service to better utilise off-the-shelf services and tooling. Your knowledge of cloud based services will provide you with the relevant experience to deliver innovative solutions designs that will drive forward improvements in the automated configuration and deployment of the infrastructure.
As well as supporting the technical evolution and design of the infrastructure, working within an agile development team you will provide hands-on development capabilities to deliver the technical evolution. The opportunity to deliver significant service improvement projects and the selection of new technologies and approaches to cloud infrastructure design and automation will develop your technical knowledge, skills and authority. If you thrive on innovation and technical change within the digital space, this is the role for you.
What you will do:
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to design and deliver a cloud based infrastructure service
- Develop in-house tooling based on Linux, scripted primarily in Python and Bash, to work with the Amazon AWS API and state-of-the-art configuration management tooling
- Provide a reliable and respected voice for the cloud based infrastructure supporting several business critical web applications
- Engage with solutions architects and application technical leads in the delivery of key systems and projects
- Build relationships and collaborate effectively with product owners, application development teams, technical architects, support teams and external suppliers
- Provide consultancy and guidance to Digital colleagues on infrastructure and web related issues
You will definitely:
- Have good experience of software design
- Have experience with cloud based infrastructure solutions in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience of working within an Agile team
- Have experience of system administration, automation of system configuration, and debugging in a complex multi-nodal environment
- Experience with build servers and build pipelines with tools such as Jenkins
- Be comfortable with writing Python and Bash
- A good understanding of Linux
- Be comfortable with basic networking & network design (particularly in AWS).
- Have experience with Puppet (significant experience is a bonus)
- Have used Git version control, preferably in a larger team
- Have familiarity of monitoring and logging solutions in the cloud
- Have an appetite for debugging demanding applications
- Be able to juggle conflicting demands on your time and resources
- Demonstrate good communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Be able to work as part of a team in either our London or Leeds based office
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76681288