At CarShop, we are absolutely committed to making sure our Colleagues have a great place to work, are excited and engaged in what they are doing and are rewarded for their achievements.
Our fantastic benefits package includes:
- 22 days’ holiday that increases with length of service, plus Bank Holidays
- BUPA Private medical insurance options
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare vouchers and cycle to work
- Discounted gym membership
- Life Assurance scheme
Let’s start with the facts
CarShop aims to be the employer of choice within the motor retail industry. We put a lot of time and effort into finding and nurturing the very best candidates for every job, recognising and rewarding your achievements and supporting your personal development.
Achieving this goal will help us maintain our position as the UK’s leading used car supermarket group. It will also enable us to set the standard by which all other motor dealerships and car supermarkets are measured. Established in 1999, CarShop have a £200 million annual turnover, 20,000 + annual retail sales, up to 5,000 cars in group stock at any one time, over 500 employees, 17 years of experience, 5 huge retail stores, and huge ambition for continued innovation and success.
The job in a nutshell
Technology is at the heart of our customer and colleague experiences at CarShop and we see this as core to delivering on our purpose to lead the evolution of the automotive marketplace. CarShop is a successful, rapidly growing business with over 8 million website visitors a year and we get some unusual and interesting technical challenges. We are looking for a highly talented Senior Developer to join our in-house team who are responsible for the design and development of our award-winning website as well as our leading edge omnichannel used car retailing platform. You will be working in a fun, dynamic environment and amongst a highly motivated group of people.
What you will be doing
- Be a key member of our existing team to develop and evolve our internal business management systems.
- Take a project from inception through to delivery by being involved in the full software development lifecycle.
- Provide insight and direction to the development team in all aspects of technology.
- Take into account both the functional and non-functional requirements of a product.
- Take business requirements and build design documents with attention to functionality, usability, clarity and supportability.
- Support the wider team in resolving technical issues and challenges.
- Document the configurations and processes in place.
- Collaborate with internal and third-party stakeholders to develop and maintain a detailed understanding of the business systems architecture and dependent infrastructure.
- Potential to grow into a management role leading the development team.
What we expect from you
As a thriving successful company, we are very selective about whom we employ and our Senior Developer role is a Senior Management role within our Business. As a growing and performing business we can certainly help you fulfil your career aspirations.
We are looking for someone who has experience in the following:
- A senior developer with significant experience in the field.
- Experienced in managing multiple projects in a fast paced large or medium sized business.
- Experienced in managing tasks and assigning work to more junior developers.
- Degree level qualification in a relevant discipline or applicable industry experience.
- Ideally experienced in a retail / e-commerce environment.
- Experience with modern programming languages, i.e. Java, Grails, Python
- Experienced in:
- Building high-performance, scalable, enterprise-grade applications.
- Object-orientated programming.
- Writing well designed, testable and efficient code.
- Preparation and production of product releases.
- Support of applications in the business with a keen eye for detail and ability to debug problems in an efficient manner.
- Linux command line usage.
- Full software development lifecycle including Agile software development.
- Linux shell scripting.
- Working knowledge of the Grails development framework.
- Knowledge of relational databases, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, JDBC and REST.
- An understanding of version management, i.e. git, subversion
- A good communicator and documenter of processes.
- A self-motivated individual with a keen eye for the detail and always looking to improve and progress their own knowledge and capabilities.
- A strong team member and player.
You will also need to hold a full UK Driving License
What happens next?
Once you have completed your application, our People Team will initially consider your skills and experience based on your CV and application. If suitable, our team will then contact you to advise you of the next stage of our recruitment process.
CarShop is an equal opportunities employer and positively welcomes all applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76007129