Shop Manager - Kirkwall
Hours: Full Time , 28 hours including weekends
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: GBP 13,218 per annum for 28 hours per week (FTE GBP 16,523 per annum)
About the role
Are you creative with an eye for detail? Do you love finding second hand gems? Can you generate income from pre-loved items? Is excellent customer service at the heart of what you do? Then we would love to hear from you!
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, enthusiastic retailer with excellent customer service skills to join our shop in Kirkwall. As a Shop Manager, you will be responsible for the management and successful delivery of a customer focussed shop team that is the 'window of the Red Cross' on the high street.
The post holder will be responsible for achieving store profits and targets, and will be accountable for the effective management of finances, stock, premises and administration. You will manage a team of paid and volunteer staff to ensure they receive ongoing support and training to assist you in providing an excellent customer experience. Together, you'll maintain a well merchandised shop that pushes the boundaries and maintains the British Red Cross' image and reputation.
The post holder will use their entrepreneurial flair to seize local trading opportunities and make management decisions that affect the shop.
About the team
The Retail Department, which forms part of the Fundraising Division, operates around 330 Red Cross charity shops throughout the UK and has a complement of over 6,500 volunteers and 700 paid staff and a turnover in excess of GBP 28m per annum.
About the person
We are keen to hear from candidates who have the following skills and experience:
- Experience working in a retail environment at a supervisory level
- Experience with cash handling and reconciliation
- Experience of using initiative for positive results Ability to use financial information to make informed decisions and achieve financial targets
- Ability to understand issues related to working with volunteers
- Ability to interpret and implement working practices and procedures (e.g. relating to staff and operational processes)
- Uphold the Fundamental Principles and act with integrity, in accordance with the Society's obligations and values (inclusive, compassionate, courageous, and dynamic).
- Able to work weekends and public holidays
- Able to work additional hours as necessary
- Able to travel to cover other shops and attend training as requested
- Ability to lift and carry bags and boxes full of donated stock, including clothes and books, and (depending on shop) light/heavy furniture (this is a genuine occupational requirement of the role)
Closing date for applications is 23:59 on Thursday 12th October 2017
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, these include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Up to 6% contributory pension
- Childcare vouchers
About the organisation
The British Red Cross helps millions of people in the UK and around the world to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies, disasters and conflicts.
Our volunteers and staff help people in crisis to live independently by providing support at home, mobility aids and transport. We also teach first aid skills.
We are part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent humanitarian network. We refuse to ignore people in crisis.
The British Red Cross is committed to being an inclusive employer with a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from people from the widest possible diversity of backgrounds, cultures and experiences - including disabled and ethnic minority candidates. This is to contribute to the breadth of experience we need to respond to people in crisis.
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76103159