Part time Accounts Manager
We are looking for an Accounts Manager to job share with our existing job holder, working 2 days a week for most of the year, and 3 days a week during our busy summer period (approximately mid-June to mid-September). The post reports to the Managing Director, and the holder will work closely with other senior staff in the schools, as well as managing a small accounts team (one full-time Accounts Assistant, and a second Assistant who works in the summer). This is a very hands-on position, not just a management role, so the job holder must be prepared to carry out day to day accounts processing.
The main tasks of the job are:
- Preparing monthly accounts for both schools on Sage, using information from the schools registration/invoicing system (Class) and other sources
- Preparing year end accounts ready for audit, and liaising with auditors
- Running the St Andrews payroll, and supervising the Select English payroll (run by the Accounts Assistant), including operating automatic enrolment pension schemes and ensuring that employees are postponed or enrolled correctly.
- Keeping up to date with all relevant payroll and pension legislation
- Regular payment of suppliers by bank transfer, ensuring appropriate authorisation has been obtained
- Preparing and submitting quarterly VAT returns, and understanding the reverse charge VAT rules for payments for overseas services
- Responding to HMRC enquiries and inspections
- Responding to other Government statistical surveys as required
- Paying overseas marketing staff
- Calculating and paying commissions due to agents of the school
- Operating the online expenses system, and paying staff expenses when due
- Supervising the Accounts Assistants, including annual staff appraisals
- Other financial analyses as required by senior staff
- Answering queries (both written and face to face) from students, agents and staff
Some tasks may be divided between the two job holders, and others may be shared
Essential qualifications are:
- A sound knowledge of Sage 50 and Sage 50 payroll, preferably including the pension and online payslips modules
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Preferably a profession accounting qualification (minimum AAT level 4), although we may consider someone qualified by experience (at least 5 years in a senior accounting role)
- Good communication skills will be needed to make the job share successful, and are also required when liaising with other staff members, students and agents
- A willingness to keep up to date with legislation, and to identify opportunities to achieve greater efficiency with new systems and procedures
A knowledge of the Infospeed Class system would be useful, although training will be given on this.
The SIMS management information system is also used in the school, and prior knowledge of it would be useful, although it is not currently used in the Accounts department.