Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives. Our status, as a company limited by guarantee with no shareholders, enables us to make our customers our focus, reinvesting our profits to provide more and better healthcare for current and future customers.
We employ over 86,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Hong Kong, Chile, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, India, New Zealand and the US.
Around 70% of our revenue is from health insurance, with the rest from health and care provision. We fund healthcare around the world and run clinics, dental centres, hospitals, care homes and retirement villages in a number of countries.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com
This role will play a key role in the UK Strategy and M&A team through the identification and assessment of potential M&A opportunities and by managing the negotiation, offer, approval and due diligence process for smaller (<£5m) acquisition and divestment transactions in line with the UK Strategy and Governance. Whilst the role will focus on a specific sector (Care Services) the role will also work more generally across M&A opportunities in the UK business as required.
Accountabilities & Activities:
- The role requires a very strong level of commercial knowledge and general business awareness to enable the post holder to work comfortably on any project with any level of management
- Support the Head of M&A in the development and implementation of an ongoing programme of acquisitions and divestments.
- Assist the Head of M&A and wider M&A function in pro-actively seeking, evaluating and proposing acquisitions and mergers opportunities that meet the business's strategic criteria.
- Provide cross functional acquisition and divestment support as required
- Support acquisitions including appraisal of opportunity, financial due diligence and commercial assessment,
- Lead a number of divestments (<£5m) including valuation, negotiation of the offer (with support from the Head of M&A or M&A Director) from offer acceptance to completion including leading multidisciplinary working groups, involving relevant stakeholders ensuring that decisions taken do not exceed risk appetite and all transactions within their leadership are managed in accordance with UK and Group policies and governance
- Deliver high quality, relevant and timely reporting and financial appraisals sufficient to enable the relevant UK MU approval body to understand the suitability of the target
- Support in preparation of business cases for the relevant UK approval body/bodies and papers required for Corporate Centre governance
- Manage any discussions around pre agreed commercial terms during the SPA/APA negotiation period in conjunction with the appointed external legal firm with the support of the Head of M&A
- Undertake Post Investment reviews
- Help build, lead and motivate a high performing team, creating space for direct reports where applicable and team members to develop
- Manage the performance of all direct reports by ensuring that appropriate objectives are set, appropriate behaviours are discussed, and training and development plans are in place
- Manage external suppliers involved in supporting transactions, define scope and agree fees (within delegated authorities), working with colleague in relevant Bupa MU teams as appropriate
Qualifications & Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Professional accounting qualification and relevant post qualification commercial experience, including strong M&A from target identification, negotiation to execution and integration
- Experience of working in a business partnering role and a pragmatic and adaptable outlook, recognising the sector and business is embarking on a period of significant change.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with internal colleagues and external customers.
- Experience and ability to carry out financial appraisals and modelling including the creation of bespoke complex models.
- Eye for detail and root cause analysis
- Strong report writing skills, with the ability to write reports and papers for various audiences
- Experience in working in transactions and leading smaller transactions through to completion
- Good leadership and influencing skills, both verbal and written, with emphasis on achieving results and successful outcomes. Works in a collaborative and open way.
- A good relationship builder, who is able to support and challenge colleagues at all levels of seniority from different functions in a constructive and effective manner.
- Ability to manage numerous tasks/projects
- Experience in healthcare (preferred but not essential)
- Familiar with working in a large organisation i.e. working cross-functionally/departmentally, a degree of political know-how and working in a changing environment.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76106519