Applications Support Analyst - Search and Interface
Application Support Analyst
RS Components is a trading brand of Electrocomponents plc, the global distributor for engineers. With operations in 32 countries, we offer more than 500,000 products through the internet, catalogues and at trade counters to over one million customers, shipping around 44,000 parcels a day. Electrocomponents is listed on the London Stock Exchange and in the last financial year had revenues of £1.27bn.
We place a strong emphasis on investing in our people, our best asset, enabling them to be customer focused at all times and exceeding their expectations. This is because our customers are at the heart of everything we do. So we look for people who have a strong belief in, and commitment to exceeding customer expectations, people who have pride and belief in their company.
In return we offer a positive and supportive culture which ensures that together we can help our customers do great things.
Scope of the role
You will be responsible for the ongoing Support of the Search Tools used on the RS Website and Quote Manager Applications, (i.e. Endeca / Apache SOLR), and the Data Interfaces to our Production RS Ecommerce Estate in order to meet agreed Business SLA's.
You diagnose and work with other internal teams / third parties to resolve incidents related to product and customer data.
You ensure that the performance, availability and accuracy of our Search Tools meets the requirements of customers.
You are working with our Business Teams and analyse data trends to ensure the efficiency and stability of our Data Interfaces and that capacity is scheduled in order to ensure we meet future business requirements.
As an Application Support Analyst your main responsibilities will involve:
- Ensuring that the availability of Search Engines meets the required Business SLA's and customer expectations.
- Tuning Search Queries to ensure that the relevancy and performance of the Search Engine meets agreed SLA's.
- Investigate, design and resolve Batch process issues to ensure processes run reliably with no failures and ensuring minimal completion times.
- Investigating and resolving system issues raised by our customers and transferred from our Level 1 Support Team relating to our Data Interfaces and Search Engines. This may require the use of Java Debugging / Third Party tools in order to pinpoint the cause of an issue.
- Document any incident solutions so that the issue can then be permanently resolved by L3 Support Team, or resolved by our L1 Support Team.
- Develop processes so that there is a consistent approach to handling, investigating and resolving issues related to data.
- Work and build a strong relationship with our Level 1 Support Team to Transfer Technical and Business knowledge in order to upskill their capabilities.
- Develop and manage lifecycle plans for our Search Engine & Data Interface Technologies.
- Work with our Programme office and Java Development Team to raise and manage Interface / Search Engine changes.
- Forecast System and data growth and work with our Infrastructure Teams to plan scaling of the system.
- Working with our Oracle DBA Team to look at tuning and improving database queries and ensuring that batch jobs are Database efficient whilst being performant.
- Analyse the growth of our data and forecast when additional hardware / software changes will be required.
As an Application Support Analyst your skills and experience will include:
Experience and able to demonstrate knowledge of the following :
- Oracle Database - SQL / PL/SQL
- Redhat Linux / UNIX Scripting.
- JBoss Application Server in an Enterprise Environment.
- Java Development / Debugging
- SOAP / WSDL
- RESTful API's.
- Search Engines - Endeca / Apache SOLR
- Driving to the root cause of service failures, reporting, identifying, proposing and supporting the implementation of changes that address the root cause, (system, processes and people) and thereby ensuring the required level of service is delivered
- Experience of debugging Java Applications using a variety of tools, e.g. Eclipse.
- Experience of Search Engine Performance Monitoring.
- Experience of Search Engine Redirects, Thesaurus and Merchandising.
- Experience of Batch Process Monitoring.
- Planning and managing Product Lifecycle plans.
- Support delivery of standard requests, service catalogue services and other agreed changes
- Knowledge of ecommerce applications from a technical and business point of view.
What we can offer
The package (salary, bonus scheme, pension scheme, private health care and much more) that RS offer to its employees will make the job very rewarding and the training and development we are able to provide will give you the chance for a fulfilling long term career.
How to apply
Please apply online and upload your CV in English and follow any instructions online. If you experience any difficulties or require further details, please contact the Recruitment Team on +44 (0) 207 842 2968.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76061373