Digital Campaigns Strategist
Crisis Action is a small organisation that builds coalitions to campaign for the protection of civilians trapped in conflict. As Digital Campaign Strategist, you will support our staff and partners to use digital media in innovative and impactful ways that help us meet our campaign goals. You will be responsible for ensuring that all of our campaigns use digital media and tools in ways that grab attention and start conversations that lead to real change for some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
You will work closely with our Media Manager and campaign teams to ensure that the use of social and digital media is effectively integrated at all stages into campaign strategies. This will include both devising strategies and coordinating their effective implementation, often through a coalition. Ensuring that we are at the cutting edge of developments in the digital campaigning sphere, you will work with the campaigns teams to drive innovation, measure success and capture learning.
You will engage with Crisis Action’s partners to harness their resources and ambition for campaign impact as well as craft or commission content essential to deliver effective social media campaigning. Reporting to Crisis Action’s Campaign Director, you will be responsible for ensuring that our use of digital communications and social media is world-class. This is a hands-on role, involving strategy, production and execution that will see you working on a range of issues and contexts with staff from each of our offices and partners across the world.
As you will be in regular contact with our partner organisations - many of the world’s largest and most high-profile humanitarian and human rights organisations - you will require an ability to work with and motivate others and to drive forward joint initiatives with diplomacy, tact and tenacity. Your work will span several regions and will require some overseas travel.
You will be responsible for two separate but highly related strands of our digital outreach:
(i)Using digital tools to effect change
- Developing strong relationships with global leaders and innovators in the worlds of digital campaigning and media and catalysing collaborations to achieve campaign impact
- Ensuring that digital media is effectively integrated into campaign strategies
- Commissioning incredible content – infographics, films, websites, photographs, etc.
- Keeping Crisis Action abreast of the latest trends in social and digital media
- Engaging and energising coalition partners’ social media teams to harness their skill and resources for joint working and coalition campaigns
- With the media manager, ensuring the online and offline aspects of all public-facing campaigns align and complement with each other
- Monitoring and evaluating [digital] campaign impact and ensuring lessons are learned
(ii)Developing better organisational use of social media
- With the support of interns, maintaining and updating our accounts across all major social media platforms, helping us build our visibility amongst influencers and policymakers
- Providing social media training and ad-hoc support for Crisis Action’s team and partners
- Staying informed of upcoming trends and developments within the field of digital communications and implementing/sharing this knowledge
Essential skills and experience:
- Exceptional understanding and experience of how to use digital media strategically as part of campaigns for change
- Proven track record of devising and delivering first-rate content to drive change
- A demonstrated ability to develop engaged online communities
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Experience of growing and cultivating social media audiences
- A positive can-do attitude and the drive, diplomacy and initiative to take ideas forward to fruition in a coalition setting
- Excellent political mind and the ability to think and work strategically
- Exceptional team worker; good negotiation and mediation skills
- High levels of ambition, determination and focus;
- Ability to work well under pressure and respond to changing demands and priorities when required
- A commitment to Crisis Action’s aims
The following would be an advantage:
- Experience of campaigning on international issues/armed conflict
- Experience of working in coalitions
- Additional languages – especially French, Arabic or Portuguese
- Knowledge of digital environments in non-western markets, especially Russia, China, Brazil, South Africa, India, Nigeria, Turkey, Indonesia, etc.
- Working knowledge of graphic design principles and tools
- Experience of delivering training