Chair of Voluntary Action Lewisham
About the organisation
Voluntary Action Lewisham is the membership charity for local voluntary and community sector organisations working to meet the needs of communities in the borough. We work to make those services better, to strengthen the voice of the sector and to support the development of strong, vibrant and healthy communities in Lewisham.
We add value to the voluntary and community sector in three ways:
Develop: We support our members to provide the best services they can to their clients – through training, one-to-one support and services.
Connect: We create opportunities, spaces and resources for organisations and individuals to come together, share ideas and support one another.
Influence: We act as a gateway to the sector for local government, statutory bodies and national organisations. We represent the work and achievements of voluntary and community sector organisations to make their voices heard at strategic levels.
About the role
We’re creating a vibrant and dynamic organisation, ensuring Lewisham’s civil society gets the support it needs to thrive, building on our 50 years of impact working with Lewisham’s communities. You'll be leading us in achieving our vision.
As Chair you will be involved in the following 5 key areas:
1. Providing strategic leadership
2. Showcasing excellence and building partnerships
3. Ensuring VAL fulfils its legal and financial obligations
4. Shaping VAL’s work to be a good employer
5. Ensuring good governance at VAL
We estimate a time commitment equivalent to two days a month, split between meetings of the Trustee Board/Executive Committee and work with our team.
For this role, VAL are seeking someone with:
- Commitment to civil society in Lewisham
- Understanding of the Nolan principles of public life
- Acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Understanding of the needs of local voluntary and community sector groups, and of volunteers
- Experience of working in the civil society sector
- Understanding of the role of a civil society support organisation (as defined by the National Association for Voluntary and Community Action, and the NCVO)
- Understanding of public policy and the partnership role of civil society
- Experience of staff and financial management and of managing change
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to chair meetings
- Ability to plan strategically
- Ability to represent the organisation to external organisations and networks
- Availability to attend evening meetings
- Ability to commit the time needed to undertake the role effectively
Apply for Chair of Voluntary Action Lewisham
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly