Senior Research and Policy Officer
1 day left
- Full Time
Harris Hill is currently seeking a Senior Research and Policy Officer to join the team at Breast Cancer Now on a permanent contract to start as soon as possible. The position is a full-time opportunity working in the Communications and Engagement Directorate and reports to the Policy Manager.
The purpose of the role is to identify and interpret specific scientific research to help inform policy decisions and development, to lead on key policy areas and develop evidence-based positions and recommendations, to act as a source of expertise across the organisation and externally on issues relating to policy and to influence directly on behalf of the charity at senior level external meetings.
Analysis and interpretation of research
- Identify research relevant to key policy areas for those at risk of, or affected by, breast cancer.
- Interpreting the findings of scientific research to help inform our policy development and policy positions. This will include advising on clinical trial data to inform our approach to the appraisal of breast cancer drugs by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
- Develop credible, evidence-based policy positions on key policy areas, including access to medicines.
- Carry out (or commission) research and data analysis to support policy development.
- Draft policy materials including briefings, documents, letters, reports and messaging.
- Maintain knowledge of key issues and understanding of the external influencing environment.
- Horizon-scan, monitor and proactively identify issues which require us to take action.
Influencing and external profile
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders including other charities, researchers, policymakers and healthcare professionals to help influence policy.
- Work in partnership with external organisations to influence on areas of mutual interest where appropriate.
- Feeding in insight to/gathering insight from, and influencing external working groups and events.
- Develop responses to consultations by government and NHS bodies.
- Support Public Affairs and Campaigns colleagues to develop and implement impactful strategies to support our policy calls.
Working across the organisation
- Provide advice on key areas of policy in response to external events and opportunities to the chief executive, senior managers and other colleagues.
- Work closely with the PR team to provide expert commentary on media stories and act as a media spokesperson.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other teams and directorates to ensure that the work of the team supports, and is integrated across, the organisation.
- Ensure that colleagues across the organisation are informed about policy and influencing work.
- Ensure that project plans are in place for key policy areas, and that these plans are delivered.
- Ensure effective evaluation and reporting of activities and impact for key policy areas and propose alternative plans and activities when performance is not on track
- Support the development, implementation and review of policy and campaigns strategy, operational plans and budgets.
We would like you to have the following experience:
- in a relevant policy role, delivering significant change
- of identifying and interpreting scientific research papers, including clinical trial data
- of undertaking research to support policy development
- of developing credible, evidence-based policy positions
- of developing written policy material
- of networking, building strong external relationships and influencing key stakeholders
- of advising on the development of influencing and campaigning strategy
We would like you to be able to:
-carry out qualitative and quantitative research, and accurately analyse and interpret data
-demonstrate excellent communication skills, including strong public speaking skills and the ability to translate complex information into accessible language
-manage projects including producing plans, working across teams and departments and effectively leading their implementation
- organise your work effectively, prioritising in a busy environment, working under pressure and at times to tight deadlines while delivering on long-term objectives
- think strategically, with strong analytical, judgement and decision-making skills
- work well as a member of a team, with a wide variety of people
- use Microsoft Office applications and the internet proficiently
-an undergraduate degree, preferably with a political, public policy, scientific, medical or other relevant component
- an excellent understanding of the current policy landscape
- excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to deal sensitively with patients and the public
- confidence when speaking to and influencing senior level stakeholders