Finance Business Partner
4 days left
- Full Time
Horizon Search and Selection are delighted to be working in partnership with a dynamic and forward thinking shared services joint local authority.
The opportunity has arisen to join this commercially proactive public sector organisation as a Finance Business Partner, directly line managing the day to day work of 2 Business Advisors and supports the Chief Financial Officer in ensuring the proper administration of financial affairs and compliance with financial standards.
The role will involve providing support across the wider team to facilitate the delivery of financial and performance monitoring and forecasts, budget setting, final accounts preparation, project appraisal, input into business cases and financial support and advice on various projects. As a shared service, the post holder will be required to work at both Bury St Edmunds and Mildenhall offices, and reasonably required to travel to other offices in the region.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the delivery of accurate financial and performance information, monitoring forecasts and plans for your specific areas, ensuring all identified risks are quantified and appropriately recorded. Ensure robust plans for the mitigation of risks identified.
- Work in partnership with the Assistant Directors and operational Service Managers, within your service delivery areas, to understand the wider financial context and identify developments and challenges which will have an impact on service delivery, budgets and performance.
- Develop an in depth knowledge of your service delivery area, and keep abreast of service developments and challenges ensuring that the Finance & Performance Team support their needs.
- Liaise with the Business Partner (Final Accounts/Budget setting team) on the preparation of the annual and medium term financial plans and working papers for your service delivery area.
- Promote a culture which empowers budget holders and supports the delivery of value for money services, including reporting on benchmark information and key cost drivers.
- Ensure that officers and members are provided with high quality advice and direction on financial strategies, policy, standards and practices, enabling services to make timely and well-informed decisions in the knowledge of the impact those decisions will have on both the financial and service performance for the council through use of the balanced scorecard.
- Ensure within your service delivery areas, in all activities, the services make decisions in the knowledge of the impact those decisions will have on both the financial and service performance for the Council.
- Evaluating and creating business cases including investment appraisal techniques.
- Provide members and officers with high quality advice on the financial strategies, policy, standards and practices.
- Train key stakeholders in matters relating to financial management, compliance and processes so that stakeholders are able to understand and fully contribute to the production of financial information as well as transparent financial management.
- Work collaboratively with the Business Partners within the Finance & Performance Team to provide high quality support and information as required.
- Work with other Council Business Partners to improve communication, business protocol and business efficiency throughout the organisation and to share specialist knowledge as appropriate.
- Liaise with the Business Partner (Final Accounts/Budget setting team) on the delivery of information to support the annual accounts closure programme as requested and in accordance with the agreed timetable for your service delivery areas and assist with the preparation of the statutory accounts.
- To lead on any project or programme as agreed by the Senior Business Partner.
- To prepare and present reports for the Council as requested by the Senior Business Partner.
- To effectively manage your area of responsibility ensuring that regular meetings, supervision and appraisal are in place. Ensure the development of the skills & knowledge and maximising the potential of all staff within your team.
- Responsible for the completion of financial returns and questionnaires as required.
- Understand customer needs and provide them with a service they value.
- Undertake such other duties as may be appropriate to the post.
- To co-ordinate all aspects of financial, performance and risk management for your service delivery areas, acting as the lead Business Partner.
Reporting directly to the CFO, it is essential that the post holder is a CCAB qualified accountant or CCAB finalist. In addition, you will need:
- experience of financial and performance monitoring and budget setting;
- experience of final accounts preparation;
- experience of providing advice and appraisal on projects and business cases;
- experience of using computerised accounting systems;
- advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel;
- an analytical approach with excellent attention to detail;
- good organisational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; and
- a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge of public sector would be advantageous, but not essential.
Due to the nature of this role, a valid driving licence is essential.
The role comes with an excellent package including generous benefits.
To be considered for this position, please apply through our website or alternatively email Suzanne Mildinhall with an up-to-date copy of your CV and covering letter detailing your relevant skills and suitability for the role