Head of Wholesale
Head of Wholesale
c£50,000 DOE Plus Benefits
We’re mad about organic veg. It’s at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes and deliver it to customers’ doorsteps around the UK. This takes a lot of brilliant people, with a range of skills and knowledge.
Riverford began in 1986, with a few acres of veg, a wheelbarrow and a beaten up 2CV for deliveries. We’ve grown into a successful e-commerce business, with four farms, three packhouses, a fleet of vans and drivers, a wholesalers, butchery, organic restaurant and pub. We employ people across many areas including IT, Logistics, Sales, HR, Finance and Marketing (and more besides).
Our culture and values set us apart from other businesses. Riverford is a friendly, informal place to work, with a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit. We’re committed to providing a fair deal for growers, customers and staff.
What you’ll be doing
As well as our successful veg box scheme, Riverford also has a wholesale customer base made up of shops, restaurants, box schemes and several large processors. We have seen rapid growth over the last three years and we are now looking for a passionate and driven Wholesale Manager who has an eye for new opportunities and is able to take the department forward; growing sales and customer numbers.
You will wear a number of hats for this role. Not only will you need to demonstrate commercial capability, but you will also need operational and business development skills so you can understand what is possible from a supply perspective whilst finding us new customers within the UK. This may mean quite a bit of travel at times to identify new markets, as well as scoping out the logistics of delivery.
Day to day, you will be responsible for the team at Wash Barn in Devon. The team consists of drivers, a production team and a customer service/sales team. You will also be responsible for the wholesale business we have in Herefordshire. Every week you will need to compile a price list and sales forecast and then pass your requirements over to the procurement team to buy the goods.
We are looking for someone to take our wholesale business from £3m turnover to in excess of £5m over the next 5 years. Alongside the day to day of running your own business unit, you will be looking at new markets and will have the ability to break into these markets. You will be working with a number of business stakeholders to achieve this, along with board members but you will be taking the lead and will need to be the driving force to make this happen.
- Development of new markets outside of the South West and building an operation around the new markets
- Setting weekly selling prices and managing the published price list we send to customers
- Identify what your customers are looking for and ensure the procurement team orders the lines you need
- Setting and management of selling margins considering all your direct costs
- Weekly sales forecast for the procurement team to order from
- You will have one direct report who will look after the day to day running of the operation and picking, however you will need to support and ensure the team are performing
- Manage debt and payment terms with customers
- To develop strong relationships with all relevant company departments to maximise sales and goodwill
- Full P&L responsibility for both wholesale operations
- HSE responsibility for your team
Skills & experience
- Ideally from a produce/food background
- You will have a proven track-record of sales development
- Working knowledge of a commercial approach within FMCG including category management, customer portfolio, range, revenue and profit management
- Sales and customer focused back ground in delivering results
- Previous P&L experience and understanding of margins and costings
- Ability to build relationships that offer value for the customer and for Riverford
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people - and other benefits too. We offer 31 days’ holiday (including bank holidays), a generous company pension scheme and an annual profit share. We love food and hope you do too, so we give staff 25% off everything we sell on our website; heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches in the staff canteen; and free organic fruit and veg. There are also many social events for staff, with two big parties a year.
To apply for the role of Head of Wholesale, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Head of Wholesale, Wholesale Manager, Produce Wholesale Manager, Head of Wholesale Operations, Wholesale Development Manager, Sales Manager, Business Development Manager.
Working hours: 40 hours per week, usually Monday - Friday