At Direct Line Group, we're shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It's not just what we do; it's how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking - after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands - including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag - change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It's hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they're helping us transform the industry we lead.
We have a great opportunity to join our Central Business Intelligence & Reporting Team here at Direct Line Group (DLG). This is a permanent position based in either our head office in Bromley or sister site in Leeds.
The Business Intelligence & Reporting Team is an organisational structure that integrates the business and information technology resources to strengthen DLG's response to rapidly developing reporting requirements; it provides the structure to improve the service delivery to the Business Intelligence user community.
The team is there to create standardisation in architecture, requirement definition, design, build, governance, deployment and ongoing support including business change.
Your main responsibility will be the design and development of core data artefacts to support analysis and reporting, in-line with industry best practice and DLG standards.
You will also contribute to the evolution of the development framework and processes, provide support to resolve data incidents and collaborate with the wider team to solve data challenges. Senior roles are available for candidates with the right experience.
What being an ETL Developer involves
- Adopt efficient ETL design and development principles to "Extract, Transform and Load" data.
- Create necessary code and data integration jobs to process large volumes of complex data
- Provide support to teams within the department to manage and understand complex requirements
- Develop using a flexible, iterative & incremental approach
- Perform unit & system testing, and assist defect resolution
- Provide input, and adhere, to standard design framework and data architecture principles
- Maintain and contribute to training/user guides, data dictionaries, design documents, SDLC artefacts
- Communicate with internal customers and stakeholders where appropriate
- Contribute to product innovation
- Design automation solutions for inefficient, manual processes
- Extend and share expertise across the team
- Provide 2nd line support and assist 1st line support staff as required
- Collaborate with various teams to resolve queries
- Utilise and promote internal processes
- Provide support to other areas as required
Skills we are looking for
- Clear communication skills when discussing technical solutions
- Data modelling and ETL framework exposure
- Good level of knowledge and experience of MI/BI platforms and tools
- Experience using at least one data integration tool (SAS 9.4/DI Studio, Informatica, Powercenter)
- Good level of experience of data structures, design, coding and development methodologies (SDLC, Agile etc..)
- SAS 9.4 Experience (DI Studio in particular)
- Database scripting experience (Oracle SQL, PL/SQL)
- Qlik Sense/Qlikview scripting and data modelling