School Business Manager
- Full Time
Job Title: School Business Manager
Salary: £45,000, plus an additional performance-related pay bonus
Hours: Full time (40 hours per week)
Start Date: 1 September 2017
• Are you a qualified, talented and dynamic manager who would be keen to join an ambitious and highly skilled team?
• Do you have the determination to make a difference to the lives of the young people in the rich, diverse community within Tower Hamlets?
The successful candidate will be a team player with a good sense of humour who has experience in leading -financially and operationally - in an educational setting. The post-holder will be required to fulfil their role under the following areas of focus:
• Production of the annual budget for both income and expenditure (including departmental budgets).
• Production of monthly management reports for the Headteacher and Governing Body, showing variances from and a commentary on the underlying reasons.
• Production of regular financial forecasts throughout the year for the Headteacher and Governing Body showing forecast out-turn for the year together with underlying assumptions.
• Production of other financial information, as necessary, for the Headteacher.
• Production and submission of necessary financial information and/or returns required by EFA and/or DfE.
• Calculation and payment of salaries together with liaison with HMRC and staff pension funds.
• Preparation and submission of VAT returns.
• Management of all day-to-day financial transactions for the school (including but not limited to invoicing, recording of income, ordering, payment of suppliers, direct debits and standing orders, bank reconciliations and petty cash).
• Management of school insurance.
• Management of Asset and Risk Registers for the School.
• Management of supplier contracts, including oversight of on-site contractors (catering and cleaning contracts).
• Liaison with external auditors, internal auditors and other professionals as necessary.
• Overall management of the maintenance of the school building.
• Management of building maintenance schedules and programmes.
• Ensuring the school remains fire-safe and, in general, a safe place to learn and work.
• Line management of facilities staff.
• Ensuring on-site catering meets the requirements of hygiene and food safety legislation.
• Line management of all administration and finance staff.
• Overall management of the school’s catering facilities.
• Ensuring that the School complies with the latest health and safety legislation.
• Production of termly health and safety reports to the Headteacher and Governing Body.
• To carry out additional duties, as the Headteacher may reasonably request, from time to time.
• To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people. All employees will have a responsibility for the children and young people that they will come into contact with.
• To comply with the school’s Health and Safety Policy, undertaking risk assessments as appropriate and to work within the school’s Equality and Diversity Policy.
About the school:
• Inclusive multicultural 11-16 Free School located in East London
• Leading edge pedagogy and curriculum
• An innovative digital and flexible 21st century learning environment
• Small school with only 84 students in each year group
• Competitive salaries based on experience and skills;
• Outstanding CPD and collaborative working that will provide many opportunities to develop your skillset;
• Leadership training and opportunities to work in a relatively new, forward-thinking, small-school setting; and
• A supportive and vibrant professional community.
The closing date for applications is Monday 31 July 2017, with interviews scheduled for week beginning Monday 7 August 2017. For an application pack, please visit the 'Careers’ page on the school’s website.
Wapping High is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. All successful candidates will be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.