IT Business Analyst
Retirement Advantage are an established, award-winning financial services company that can trace its roots back to 1852, offering retirement income and equity release products to consumers.
The Equity Release business within the company is currently expanding rapidly, having recently secured new funding contracts. A role has arisen within the IT team to help support the expansion of the company’s in-house bespoke systems.
Reporting to the Head of IT within the Equity Release team, the IT Business Analyst will help deliver a variety of different IT software projects. The role has exposure to the full software development life cycle - understanding requirements, designing systems and user interfaces, testing & releasing changes. The IT Business Analyst supports other staff with operational issues and reporting, and has the support of technical teams to help when needed.
The role will require applicants with:
- Experience on multiple IT projects, ideally with 5+ years of project delivery.
- A broad range of experience from previous IT roles, such as: IT business analysts, data analysts, IT project support, and developers looking for a more business-centric role.
- A degree in Computing or Computer Science, but all backgrounds will be welcome to apply.
- Exceptional problem solving and solution development skills.
- Confidence in analysing and working with relational data/databases/Excel.
- A strong ability to learn new technologies and software quickly.
- Define and manage changes to the company systems, from initial analysis to production deployments.
- Work to recognised project and software development lifecycle methodologies (Agile).
- Work with the business to capture, analyse, define and document requirements.
- Find and suggest solutions to business requirements and issues.
- Produce functional software specifications, for changes to the software and websites.
- Document systems, produce logical flow charts.
- Analyse and manage operational issues and software bugs, and work with the development and other technical teams to resolve them.
- Produce user training guides and train users on new features.
- Work securely with financial data, using spreadsheets and relational data manipulation tools.
- Produce financial and operational MI reports.
- Work to financial (FCA) and data protection (DPA) regulation.
- Identify and manage risks.
Required technical skills
- Experienced with Microsoft Excel and Word, ideally with macros but not essential.
- Highly adept at handling and analysing data, database reporting and query building (e.g. SQL Server/MySQL/MS Access).
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Linux and client-server / networks.
- Strong understanding of application and website security/networks/firewalls.
- Flowcharting & process mapping using tools like Microsoft Visio.
- Experienced with development/project tracking & issue management tools, such as Jira/Pivotal Tracker.
Desired but not essential technical skills
- Microsoft Project
- Programming experience (VBA, C#, Ruby on Rails, HTML)
- Development environments and code version control (e.g. Github/Visual Studio)
Required personal skills
- Good communicator, able to speak and write clearly about IT using plain English.
- A positive and friendly attitude, capable of working both alone and in small teams, and helping people with technical issues.
- Logical, careful and organised.
- Able to deliver to deadlines.
- A "dragon's den" mindset, able to analyse and select options, based on cost and benefit.