Chichester College has an exciting opportunity for a Student Tutor to join the team based at our Brinsbury campus. The successful candidate will join us on a full time, permanent basis and will receive a competitive salary of £20,671 - £22,591 per annum.
Chichester College is the largest provider of further education in West Sussex. In 2014 the college was judged as Outstanding by Ofsted in all four areas, Outcomes for Learners, Teaching, Learning & Assessment, Leadership and Management and Overall Effectiveness. 8 out of 9 curriculum areas inspected were judged to be outstanding. We are a key provider of education and employment to those in our local communities and make a critical contribution to local economic development. We were established in Chichester in 1964 and also have a 570 acre land-based provision on our Brinsbury campus near Pulborough. We employ over 1,250 full and part-time staff.
From 1 August 2017, Central Sussex College will change its name to Crawley College. It will also merge with Chichester College as part of a group structure.
As our Student Tutor you will provide pastoral and academic support to our full time learners. You will have experience of supporting and motivating young people to achieve their full potential in an educational setting.
Key Responsibilities as our Student Tutor:
- Motivate each individual learner within a caseload and to monitor their progress against their learning goals.
- Encourage each student to engage personal evaluation, reflection and target setting, using value added to measure progression (where appropriate).
- To set, in partnership with individual students, course teams and other stakeholders (including, for example, employers, social care and parents) challenging SMART targets to support progression.
- Fully utilise College information systems to record, monitor and track learners within a cohort of tutees.
- Rigorously track and monitor the attendance of each student within a cohort of tutees across all elements of their programme (including Maths, English and ICT as appropriate) and, where necessary, take action to improve poor individual performance. This will/may include sustained liaison with the student and key stakeholders.
- Identify student needs and facilitate access to appropriate services to support achievement, such as additional support, careers advice and the enrichment programme.
- Deliver and facilitate group activities which support the development of personal employability/work readiness skills, knowledge and skills related to the College’s Core Values and British Values statement.
- Liaise with all involved in a student’s chosen programme of study (including teachers, course leaders and (Deputy) Heads of Learning) to address any concerns and support student success. Where appropriate support through the Student Referral Process must be put in place in liaison with Achievement Champions.
- Comply with the relevant administration procedures and adhere to set deadlines for example individual reviews, UCAS, references and/or new measures of success.
- Play a key role within the Student Journey supporting key aspects of College life as appropriate, such as induction and College events and activities.
- Have a knowledge of post 16 study programmes for students including Study Programmes, Apprenticeship Frameworks, Internships and Traineeships and Higher Education options.
Skills & Experience required of Student Tutor:
- Have experience of supporting students aged 16 -19 and have an understanding of their support needs.
- You will be highly motivated and have the ability to work under pressure.
- Have experience of target setting, working to tight deadlines and have proven time management and organisational skills.
Benefits of working with Chichester College:
- Competitive salary and holiday benefits.
- All staff are eligible to join the Local Government or Teachers’ final salary pension schemes.
- Opportunities for career and professional development.
- Recognition schemes including Star Team and Chairman’s Award.
- Occupational maternity, paternity, shared parental and adoption benefits.
- Through Sodexho, the College has a Childcare Voucher Scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Gym membership is available at a discounted price for staff.
- Discounted rates for the College’s Hair and Beauty salon and access to the training restaurant for lunches and dinners with exciting menus.
Closing date: 27 July 2017
Interview date: 8 August 2017
If you feel you are the right candidate for the role as our Student Tutor then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
All posts are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check, which may include a check of the barred lists and any relevant overseas checks.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
We are an equal opportunities employer.