In House Lawyer
Your new company
A magic Circle law firm in Belfast is seeking an experienced lawyer with 3 to 6 years' post-qualification experience and a strong track record in corporate or commercial work to join the firm's Business Protection Unit (BPU) to cover a period of maternity leave.
The BPU advises the firm globally on legal matters that might affect the interests or reputation of the firm or its people, including drafting and negotiating commercial contracts with suppliers and others.
Role and Responsibilities
Your new role
Key Responsibilities of the Role
The purpose of this role is to draft, negotiate and advise on supplier and other third party contracts to be entered into by the firm, including high value technology contracts.
The successful candidate will also support the other work of the department, including:
- drafting and updating risk and compliance policies;
- advising fee-earners and other staff on their application; and
- otherwise advising the firm on risk management, regulatory and compliance obligations.
- Role of the BPU
- Dealing with and advising on third party procurement and other contracts into which the firm may enter;
- Handling relevant IP issues for the firm, including copyright, data protection, trademark and domain name issues;
- Handling matters concerning the firm's regulatory and compliance obligations, including contact with the regulators, compliance and anti-money laundering and professional conduct training, the determination and implementation of the firm's regulatory strategy and policies, advising the firm's lawyers on such matters as external appointments, dealing in securities and the processing of those matters, dealing with practising certificates and formalities for registered foreign lawyers etc;
- Providing the firm's corporate secretariat, including dealing with procedural and other formalities relating to the firm's corporate group structure, inter-company agreements and other relevant procedural requirements, directors and officers insurance and audit enquiries;
- Dealing with proposed changes to the group structure, including the opening of new offices and corporate restructurings;
- Advising the firm's senior management, partners and directors, and staff as required, on the procedural operations of the firm's group structure, including dealing with voting, e-business and website terms and conditions and the validation of pitch documents;
- Handling the firm's professional indemnity claims and dealing with the firm's professional indemnity insurance brokers and underwriters, including dealing, when required, with complaints against the firm whether by clients or third parties and whether or not a claim is made or anticipated;
- Liaising with the firm's senior management on the conduct of any necessary investigations and inquiries, including relating to any regulatory and HR issues and consulting across the firm, as necessary, in relation to investigations and inquiries;
- Working with the firm's senior management, and in particular the firm's Risk Committee, on leading the firm's management of legal and operational risk and proactively enhancing the management of risk throughout the firm, which includes devising, administering and reviewing all risk management training, as well as ensuring that risk management policies are in place, up to date, and applicable to relevant offices globally;
- Proactively driving the risk management agenda forward, and working with various working groups and departments in order to ensure that risk within the firm is managed effectively;
- Working with senior management and Business Development/PR management on contentious PR issues; and
- Working generally with the firms's senior management on handling all aspects of the internal administration and management of the firm and on the delivery of the BPU mission and values.
What you'll need to succeed
Skills and Experience
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Qualified lawyer with between 3 and 6 years' post-qualification experience;
- Experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on high value, complex commercial contracts (including technology contracts) and dealing with a diverse range of stakeholders in that regard;
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, including liaising with clients and partners;
- A proven ability to work independently and proactively and take the lead in driving projects forward to completion;
- Self-motivation and ability to manage new and varied challenges;
- Excellent attention to detail; and
- Collaborative approach and ability to work well in a small team.
What you'll get in return
An excellent market salary is on offer for you here
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, please click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV. Please contact Patrick McDonald today If you would like more detail on this job or to have a confidential discussion on your legal career. If you're looking for a new legal opportunity in a specific location Hays have a strategic office network spanning Ireland and the UK and a team of over 30 specialist legal recruitment consultants that can assist you with your job search.