Group Risk Manager
Royal London Group
Group Risk Manager - Edinburgh
Salary c. £72,000 - £90,000 + Excellent Benefits
Benefits - Bonus at target, 28 days holiday + stats, contributory pension
Royal London is the largest mutual life, pensions and investment company in the UK, with Group funds under management of £100 billion. Group businesses provide around 9.1 million policies and employ 3,253 people. (Figures quoted are as at 31 December 2016).
Founded as a Friendly Society in a London coffee shop in 1861, Royal London started out with the aim to help people avoid the stigma of a pauper's grave. Since then we have been helping people help themselves and are committed to delivering the best value for customers and putting members first.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Group Risk Manager to join the Risk & Compliance Team in Edinburgh on a permanent basis.
The main purpose of this role is to ensure robust, independent oversight of all operational risk aspects of the business. Delivery of support and challenge to 1st line business teams and strong functional BAU delivery which demonstrates being an exemplar of operational risk management.
Engaging with the 1st line executive and management teams to embed an appropriate risk management culture and to ensure monitoring and reporting procedures and tools are in place to report on operational risks and controls.
As a senior representative of the 2nd line Group Risk and Compliance team, you will deliver operational risk assurance through:
- Planning, designing, implementing an appropriate risk management process;
- Providing support, education and training to 1st line executive and management to ensure risk management is embedded within the RLG culture;
- Risk assessment, describing and estimating the risks that could impact the RLG;
- Risk evaluation and reporting of: emerging risks; risk acceptance; risk indicator results and risk events with corresponding management action against stated risk appetite;
- Risk assurance, conducting reviews of compliance to risk management framework; Policy
- Promotion of a positive risk and compliance culture into the RLG 1st line executive and management teams;
- Development and maintenance of operational risk management subject matter expertise, with particular focus on the emerging Solvency II requirements;
- Collaborative working with the Risk Framework, Compliance and Audit teams;
- Honest dialogue with the Head of Life and Pensions Risk and also with the Chief Risk Officer; The provision of guidance, support and challenge to the 1st line executive and management teams in risk decision making, and specifically over the capture, reporting and escalation of risks; risk acceptance and risk events;
- Support and challenge others in Risk and Compliance demonstrating being an exemplar in Operational and Conduct risk management.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
The successful candidate will possess detailed knowledge of operational risk management frameworks and emerging best practice in the industry.
- Previous experience within a management role (operational; risk management or audit)
- Knowledge of outsourcing operations methodology and relationship management
- In-depth knowledge of current and emerging industry risk requirements including Solvency II and conduct risk
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including presentational skills
- Excellent analytical skills including analysing trends
- Excellent stakeholder management, influencing & negotiating skills and experience of working with senior and executive management.
- Excellent coaching & training skills
- Excellent relationship and team building skills across a multi-site virtual team environment
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to generate recommendations which improve risk processes that are acceptable to operational management.
To apply, please use the 'Apply Online' link below.
For any further queries regarding the role, please contact or call him on .