Digital Project Manager
The Project Manager is responsible for planning and managing IT projects of moderate to medium complexity, including estimating, planning, execution, scheduling, definition of product functionality, and cost/budget development and tracking. Project Manager works with Business Owners, IT&S Product Owners, and Solution Leaders to define a project's objectives and scope; works across the IT&S organization to acquire resources and form project teams; estimate project schedule and costs; manages the work of team members and third-party contractors, consultants, and vendors, to deliver IT products according to plan, schedule, and budget. The Project Manager oversees projects from initiation, to development of the defined results, and through deployment of the product, including turnover to the appropriate systems support and user support organizations.
Principal Duties include but not limited to:
- Directs and manages projects from beginning to end. Defines project scope, goals and deliverables that support business and IT&S goals, in collaboration with business owners, product owners, and other stakeholders.
- Works with Business Owner/Sponsor and Solution Leader and others as needed, to create a project charter, including the definition of completion criteria.
- Develops labour estimates, cost estimates, schedules, milestones, deliverables, and overall plans for projects. Determines the human resources - roles and skills - required to achieve project goals.
- Works with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel to staff the project. Determines the need for additional staff and/or consultants and recruits/hires if necessary during the project.
- Provides leadership in forming the appropriate project team in order to meet the project's objectives.
- Communicates a clear vision of the project's objectives, and leads the project team in achieving them.
- Organizes project work into manageable groups (project phases and work breakdown) and determines an effective approach for completing the work.
- Ensures that appropriate timing, resources, and sequencing of the work efforts are aligned to produce the desired results within the project schedule.
- Ensures that project and product interdependencies within a program of multiple projects (and across other business lines and programs) are considered and are tracked as projects are planned and executed.
- Conducts comprehensive project status reviews of a program of related projects and system and project interdependencies.
- Communicates appropriate outcomes with Solution Leaders, Project Management, and Business Owners to provide timely and accurate information and status updates, along with issue and risk management within individual projects and across a program.
- Effectively communicates project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear way.
- Assigns project work according to the plan and schedule. Monitors project activities and reports on status.
- Reviews quality of work and manages integration of team members' work.
- Creates a positive environment for the project team including open, honest communication and a clear path to escalate risks and issues.
- Facilitates fast and efficient decision-making required for progress on the project.
- Coaches, mentors, motivates, and supervises project team members and contractors, and encourages them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Proactively identifies risks and develops contingency plans, identifies issues and manages their timely resolution.
- Tracks risks and issues in appropriate repositories and ensures their visibility to the people required to resolve them. Escalates risks and issues as appropriate.
- Monitors overall project progress and manages any changes in project scope. Tracks financial performance of the project, including actual to budget tracking for labor hours and dollars, operating costs, and capital costs.
- Communicates scope changes appropriately and gains authorization for additional funding as required.
- Communicates project status, progress, and issues within the project team as well as to IT&S managers and staff, and to the business sponsor and business departments with involvement in the project.
- Develops and executes complete project and product deployment communication plans. Delivers status reports on schedule and adapts their frequency and content to the needs of the business as well as IT&S requirements
- Ensures that deliverables and documents are produced as required including project charters and requirements documents.
- Builds, develops, and grows business or IT&S relationships important to the success of the project (in conjunction with the Solution Leader/Key Contact).
- Facilitates project post-closure reviews and creates a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements. Analyzes, documents, and shares lessons learned with other project managers. Analyzes original estimate against actual hours and duration, and understands factors that contributed to any variance. Completes project closure documentation and updating relevant knowledge bases.
- Works within the framework of the company IT&S project management methodology and company governance requirements.
- Managing and communicating a clear vision of the projects objectives, and motivating the team members
- Understanding and communicating the definition of completion criteria (what constitutes 'done')
- Organizing the activities into manageable work packages for division and facility team members and determining an effective approach to completing the work
- Resource coordination for IT&S deployments