Practice Manager for Solicitors
Main purposes of role
Whilst this job description is comprehensive it is not limited to:
The successful candidate will oversee a team of staff not directly involved in fee-earning and skills in accounting and IT will be required.
You will be expected to work on your own initiative, have excellent communication and personal skills and dedicate yourself to the Practice.
You will become familiar with and if necessary receive training in the Practice computer system
- Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Office 2003 & 2007
- Olympus Digital Dictation
- Voice Recognition
- Oyez Form
- Online banking
- On line legal services
- Sage Payroll software
so as to be able to manage the network and deal with minor problems, such as printers not printing and machines going off-line. You will also be able to install new machines on the network and load all necessary software. Major system faults and upgrades will be dealt with by our external consultants with whom you will liaise regularly
ACCOUNTS AND FINANCE
We operate a fully computerised accounting system using a proprietary legal accounting package called Insight Legal part of the software suite includes a case management system, with a database and document production facility using Microsoft word.
You will understand the principles of double-entry book-keeping
Solicitors maintain separate bank accounts for keeping client's money. There are very strict rules about how we deal with client's money, known as the Solicitor's Accounts Rules. Compliance with these rules is essential. You will become familiar with these rules and supervise the operation of them.
There are two members of the accounts department who carry out the day-to-day postings of the practice whom you will supervise.
You will be responsible for
- VAT returns
- Journal entries
- Trial balances
- Bank reconciliation
- Production of monthly management accounts using existing excel spreadsheets
- Budget production
- Bad debt recovery
- Further development of case management
- Liaising with the Practice Accountants
- Liaising with the Practice Bankers
- Ensuring FSA compliance
- Ensuring Law Society compliance
- Ensuring POCA (money laundering) compliance
You will also be required to prepare the Practice’s end of year Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss accounts for the partners and the firms accountants.
- Maintain the Practice's existing personnel records and keep them up to date. You will maintain and update pay scales as necessary.
- Organise and participate in appraisal of staff
- Familiarise yourself with the staff, and be line manager for the accounts and administration staff.
- Issue all contracts of employment and maintain the office manual in so far as it relates to the staff.
- Handle the monthly payroll using the Sage Payroll software
- Assist the Partners with regard to any disciplinary matters relating to the staff.
- Maintain a central record of sickness absence and implement the firm's sickness policy.
- Deal with issues relating to maternity and paternity leave.
- Maintain a record of holiday requests and absences. (presently delegated)
- Maintain the Practice's equal opportunities and anti-discrimination policies.
You will organise staff recruitment, and interview applicants, generally with one or more Partners. You will assist the Partners with the recruitment of legal staff.
You will be responsible for all practice purchasing. On or shortly after appointment you will
- Identify all the current suppliers to the Practice
- Identify all current long-term contracts (e.g. photocopier leases, maintenance agreements etc)
- Consider whether better terms can be negotiated
- Liaise with the Director responsible, and set about the process of obtaining the best possible terms
- Prepare the agenda for Partner’s meetings
- Prepare management accounts for the meeting
- Attend all Partners meetings
- Progress chase agreed actions
You will review and maintain the following insurances
- Public liability
- Employer's liability
- Professional Indemnity
- Fleet Car
- Private Health
HEALTH AND SAFETY
You will implement and develop the Practice's health and safety policy
You will co-ordinate the maintenance of all practice buildings and will budget for a rolling programme of redecoration throughout the Practice.
ADVERTISING AND MARKETING
You will be responsible for organising the marketing of our services and implement agreed measures. You will also be responsible for our website.
You will lead the efforts of the Practice to achieve and maintain the CQS,WIQS and SQM standards
You will act as the firm’s Compliance Office Financial Administration and also as the firm’s Money Laundering officer as well as advising the Partners on all matters of regulatory compliance
You will act as the Partnership Secretary and will responsible for any taxation (firm or partners personal) , regulatory matters (including Practising Certs and Continuing Professional Development),partnership constitutional matters and any other matters that the Partners individually or as a practice may reasonably request.