General House Manager
Abbeyfield Bristol and Keynsham Society
General House Manager, Hanham, Bristol
We’re now recruiting for a House Manager to join our friendly team in our lovely supported living house for older people (maximum capacity: 20) in Hanham, Bristol.
The position is a permanent one but is subject to a three month probationary period.
The House Manager is responsible to the Society's Trustees through its Chief Executive and Officers.
1. To keep a caring and supportive eye on residents, liaising as appropriate with relatives, health care professionals etc.
2. To be responsible for the staffing rotas for the house.
3. To oversee the smooth running of the kitchen.
4. To ensure that the cleaning schedule of residents’ rooms and communal areas is satisfactory and to supervise the domestic staff.
5. To liaise with the Abbeyfield office and the House Committee.
6. To ensure effective supervision, appraisals and communication with all staff.
7. To organise and promote a varied and stimulating programme of activities for the residents.
8. To undertake any other ad hoc duties required by the House Committee or the Society’s Chief Executive.
9. To maintain strict confidentiality at all times in Abbeyfield matters.
10. To ensure the safety and well-being of residents at all times.
11. To act in the best interests of Abbeyfield and its residents at all times.
12. He/she will also have responsibility for:
Liaising with the Abbeyfield Office to ensure accurate payment of staff wages and to ensure accurate payment of household invoices
Accurate management of Petty Cash, in conjunction with the Abbeyfield Office
Dealing with personal administration for residents, as appropriate
Health & safety and food hygiene matters
Fire prevention/precaution and maintaining fire safety records
Maintaining all necessary paperwork (e.g. accident book, fire checks, support plans, admission forms, medication, hospital admission forms, risk assessments, accident forms etc.).
Overseeing the ordering of janitorial supplies (toilet rolls, cleaning materials etc.)
COSSH sheet updates
Ensuring the fabric of the building is well-maintained and liaising with the Property Manager, the handyman and the Abbeyfield office as appropriate
Liaising with the handyman regarding the upkeep of the house and any repairs
Overseeing the upkeep of the front and back gardens, and liaising with the gardener as appropriate
Terms of Employment:
Hours of Work
40 hours per week (weekdays) to include ½ hour for lunch. You are entitled to a hot meal whilst on duty.
Monday - Friday 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
(The House Manager is required to remain on the premises during these periods).
Salary: between £22k and £25k per annum, depending on experience, plus an attractive pension scheme
28 days per annum to include bank holidays, pro rata for those working part-time.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Hold a Level 3 Chartered Managers Institute certificate (or similar qualification) or be able to undertake this qualification whilst in post.
- Be able to demonstrate caring attributes and a keen understanding of the challenges older people face.
Be a great team player but also evidence experience in managing staff.
Be able to demonstrate reasonable computer literacy and able to use Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Email.
- Be extremely organised and able to multi-task effectively
Be a self-starter, able to work on your own initiative and be clear on what has to be done
Be fully aware of confidentiality issues and able to act appropriately
Be able to plan, prioritise and take action accordingly
Be sympathetic to Abbeyfield’s charitable objectives and status
Have excellent communication skills and be confident in dealing with people
Have great time management skills, and be able to be flexible in their working patterns
Have the ability to stay calm, composed and diplomatic at all times
Please note: Any appointment will be conditional upon a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure & Barring Service to comply with Government legislation.
Deadline for applications:
28 July 2017
To find out more about us and what we do, please go to www.abbeyfield-bristol.co.uk