Planning Enforcement Officer
2 days left
- Full Time
A truly unique opportunity for a dynamic person with construction and project management expertise to lead a direct action end-to-end planning enforcement service to councils.
Direct action is the process whereby a council can carry out the works required by a planning enforcement notice which the landowner refuses to do. While demolition and clearance tends to feature heavily our client is increasingly being asked to reinstate.
The works generally take place in London and the South East but may occasionally be further afield. The range of work is diverse, from demolitions and groundwork to windows and roofing.
Applications from suitably qualified ex-military personnel (Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Marines) will be particularly relevant for this position.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role involves both planning/specifying jobs and also getting proactive with the physical work. Principle duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Assessing the scope of a job, developing a proposed methodology and fall back options
- Preparing a project plan (if the size of the project demands it)
- Obtaining subcontractor quotes as necessary
- Pricing the job based on the project plan and pricing or otherwise dealing with risk elements
- Agreeing contractual terms with the council and with subcontractors
- Booking equipment and staffing the job with appropriate experienced contractors
- Liaising with council clients, police, locksmiths and contractors in advance
- Developing a health and safety plan
- Managing the site on the day of the action, dealing politely but firmly with landowners, press and the general public and making sure that the work goes to plan
- Undertaking building work as part of the site team
- Arranging for any specialist advice eg structural surveyor
- Assisting with marketing of the service to existing and potential local authority clients
- Giving witness evidence in courts or Planning Inquiries
Qualifications & Experience:
- Competent in several construction trades, a flexible problem-solver, open and credible, resilient and an ability to handle difficult situations calmly.
- Ability to research and plan a wide range of projects, often with limited information.
- Comprehensive understanding of health and safety legislation and building control requirements.
- Willingness to work unsociable hours at short notice if needed.
Interested applicants will be expected to complete and return by email a simple application form to which CVs must be pasted.