Commercial Property Solicitor 10 years PQE
The role is for a solicitor with at least 10 years’ London experience, and an established following, to work predominantly from our London office.
The role involves:
- Generating work for him/herself through maximising their following and business development opportunities.
- Feeding work to the rest of the Commercial Property team (who will attend the London office as required).
Having a following of clients and contacts will assist with progression. Progression, in any event, is an expectation for the right candidate.The team
Greenwoods’ Property team has a strong reputation for commercial property, acting for national, international and local clients.
The team currently consists of fourteen fee earners: two Directors, two Associate Directors, an Associate, a Senior Solicitor, four Solicitors, a trainee and three paralegals, with one full time PSL (who is an Associate Director). Whilst most of the team is based in Peterborough a substantial amount of work is also carried out from our Cambridge office, and team members regularly work from our London office.
The team deals with a wide range of property transactions: including investment, development, corporate support, funding and landlord and tenant matters. Clients include overseas investors, a number of banks, owner occupiers and tenant clients with large property portfolios, and residential registered social landlord developers.
- Work includes matters of significant value including two recent acquisitions in London for an overseas investor of a total value in excess of £135 million, acquisitions of a number of high value residential properties in London for investment, for a total value in excess of £10 million, acquisition of a development site for over £10 million and corporate support for an expanding company in relation to its floating on AIM (dealing with over 100 properties).
- Turnover is generated primarily from established regional and national clients with a growing turnover from international investors in the London property market.
- With a keen focus on client care and building relationships: everyone in the team is encouraged to visit clients and their premises, to get to know and understand each individual client’s requirements and to be viewed as part of the client’s ‘team’.
- Head of Property, Karin Horsley, trained and worked in the City of London for over twenty years, thirteen as a partner, and encourages the team to be ambitious and confident in carrying out ‘City’ work to the highest standards. This is achieved with the support of the other senior members of the team and the Professional Support Lawyer who was formerly a fee earner in City of London firms.
- Punching above its weight in the type and value of the work it delivers to clients, Greenwoods’ Property team regularly receives excellent legal directory reviews.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A strong level of knowledge and competence across all the mainstream commercial property law disciplines is required, commensurate with post-qualification experience as specified above.
- A genuine desire to grow the business through business development opportunities and networking with other professionals and contacts, individually and as part of a team.
- Legal competence and strong ‘soft skills’ are essential, as is cultural ‘fit’ with both the team and the firm as a whole.
The ideal candidate will, for any of a number of possible reasons, feel like they are a square peg in a round hole at their existing firm. They will be looking for a new challenge which will involve them:
- Being able to use their existing long-term market place status and client relationships to generate their own caseload from their existing following and contacts.
- Utilising to their full potential their business development opportunities and skills (possibly in a way which, for one reason or another, they have been unable to do at their existing firm).
- Working alongside other members of the team to deliver larger or more complex matters in the most efficient and client-focused manner, as well as delegating non-complex/routine work to other members of the team, thus freeing time to develop more business.
The emphasis is on a candidate who is able to work independently on both fee earning and business development and who will be keen to develop initiatives in conjunction with the Head of Commercial Property.
As you will expect, our ideal candidate will also:
- Be able to prioritise workloads whilst remaining resilient under pressure and competing demands.
- Give client care and relationship building a high priority.
- Be self-motivated and capable of working to deadlines.
- Be a team player whilst also able to work alone.
- Enjoy building relationships across our teams and locations and be able to do so quickly.
- Possess strong communication skills, a flexible approach and a willingness and desire to help grow the team.
- Need periodically to work in the Peterborough office (particularly so during the first few weeks for induction purposes