Web Support Engineer
Web Support Engineer
My client, a global powerhouse within the media and publishing industry, is looking for a Web Support Engineer to join their team in London on a permanent basis.
Historically, they've had different tech stacks in markets all over the world. Now they're looking at unifying their core platform, including our CMS and data infrastructure. This is a new international team, with a hub in London that has the opportunity to define their architecture, tooling, what they ship and how they ship it. You'll get a rare look at digital publishing around the world.
You will be primarily responsible for providing 2nd line support to 11 markets for our critical international CMS service, Copilot.
Working across departments - support, engineering and development - to ensure knowledge is learned, documented and shared with the wider community. You will be an escalation point for their 1st line support team, and escalate to 3rd line where appropriate on bug fixes and feature requests, and technical support.
They are looking for an ambitious Web Support Engineer who is looking to develop their skills and experience in a cross functional environment.
You will be responsible for monitoring of their applications and services, setting thresholds and alerting, and handling accordingly any monitored events.
The ability to clearly and concisely report on usage, data and monitored events is key, i.e. trend analysis.
Working with the appropriate teams to ensure incidents and problems are handled appropriately within OLAs, with a view to ensure they do not recur. This is dynamic position to support their 11 wholly owned markets (China, Taiwan, Japan, India, Russia, Europe and Mexico). They would require flexible working hours from the successful individual.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Providing second line support to our markets, and be an escalation point to the 1st line support team
- Escalating to 3rd line engineering and development teams where appropriate
- Trouble-shoot reported issues, using web inspection tools where applicable
- Trouble-shooting network
- Trouble-shooting monitored events, prioritising low, medium and high accordingly
- Proactively using monitoring tool(s) to ensure all systems, services, application events and data is captured
- Carry out post-mortem of incidents, determining the root cause analysis, to ensure they do not reoccur
- Communicating any service degradation and outages accordingly
- Reporting clearly by use of graphics/graphs on usage, support and monitored event trends
- Willingness to mentor and share knowledge with the team is a must
- Creating and updating documentation to support the services provided to our users
- There may be a requirement to train-the-trainer, both within the team and in the markets
- Some travel may be required
- Hands-on CMS experience
- CMS back-end support
- Web inspection tools, ability to use and identify issues. Most typically inspecting network traffic and console errors
- Event/log management experience, with the ability to identify patterns and validate against other information such as monitoring graphs/tools
- Experience of monitoring tools (e.g. CloudWatch, Pingdom, DataDog)
- Trend analysis - i.e. interpreting monitoring graphs, usage and data
- Basic network knowledge - understanding of DNS, and basic network issues such as packet loss, traceroute
- Understanding of web application architecture
- Experience of working with software engineers and web developers
- Ability to work on your own and within a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Good Windows and Mac knowledge
- Second language is highly advantageous
- Basic knowledge of Linux, and command line interface
- Experience of working with different countries. Awareness of different cultures
- Web development
- Experience of working in an ITIL V3 environment, using best practice
Huntress does not discriminate on the grounds of 'protected characteristics' as defined under the Equality Act and other relevant UK legislation.
Huntress acts as a Recruitment Agency in relation to all Permanent roles and as a Recruitment Business in relation to all Temporary roles.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.