Make It Cheaper has been helping to put a smile on the face of British businesses since 2007 - and that’s something we continue to strive for every day. So how do we do it? In a nutshell, our service takes the hassle out of shopping around for better deals on electricity, gas, insurance, telecoms and water.
Our incredible people, coupled with the great service we provide, have made us the biggest (and best!) energy broker for SME’s in the UK which is why we are trusted by Go Compare, MoneySupermarket and uSwitch to look after their business customers.
Our people work incredibly hard to keep our customers smiling so we try to work even harder to keep them smiling too. Over the years we’ve built an environment where development and progression is encouraged, hard work is rewarded and fun is had along the way! Professional development, annual trips away, regular massages in the office, parties and awards are just a few of the things you can look forward to while working with us. We’re confident we have what it takes to pass the duvet test every day. Come and work for MIC and you’ll be leaping out of bed each and every morning!!
We have great plans for the future or Make It Cheaper and a big part of those plans involve our public facing website platforms as well as internal tools and e-mails so we’re looking for a Web Developer to be responsible for the delivery of new features for these.
We work in a fast paced environment where innovative ideas and projects come to life. As Web Developer you will work closely with Business Analysts who will manage the requirements while you deliver the right technical solutions to the business on time and on budget.
As Full Stack Web Developer you will be getting your hands dirty in all aspects of an application, from the front-end world of HTML, CSS and JS to the backend side of Ruby on Rails, API’s as well as DevOps world of Linux and AWS.
You’ll love technology, be comfortable working across the full stack and have a real passion for making things happen and making things easy for others.
As well as being a technology expert, as a developer you will be an exceptional role model, promoting best practices, learning and development as well as introducing a culture of sharing and collaboration. It is important you engage with the wider community and are always abreast of emerging practices in the technology front, whether it is new tools, a new process or approach.
- Solution Delivery - Full end to end delivery of new features, from inception to deployment.
- Application ownership - You take ownership of your applications. You don’t ship code over a wall, but take full ownership of the application once it goes live, watching out for issues, monitoring exceptions and correcting issues if they arise.
- Optimise Development - As a pro-active member of the team you’re always looking for ways to automate & optimise to improve processes or improve deliverables.
- Technical Solution Design - You take pride in delivering a technical design that consider both business and technological considerations. You engage with other business teams and colleagues, as well as third parties to assess feasibility of projects, as well as time and cost and leads on the design to deliver technical solutions.
- Team communication - Daily communication with the wider development team and internal stakeholders, facilitate issue resolution.
- Technical Innovation - Engage with the wider development community and bring new technologies into the business that can help promote innovation and support the company vision.
Experience and knowledge required:
- A seasoned full stack developer (both front-end and back-end) with at least 3 years’ experience developing websites and web applications
- Solid commercial experience in Ruby on Rails
- Good understanding of databases, relational (MySQL) and NoSQL
- Familiar with typical cloud hosting stack AWS, Linux, Apache, MySQL
- Passion for architecture, patterns and development principles - and always keen to learn new things
- Experience working with API’s (JSON Rest as well as XML SOAP)
- Familiar with TDD/BDD development methodologies
- Familiar with version control (Git, Github)
- Familiar with Agile development methodologies and supported tooling (Jira)
We are looking for someone who matches the following:
- Passionate for helping and supporting others
- Desire to do whatever is needed to get the job done and make a difference
- Willing to work hard, work smart but still have plenty of fun along the way
- Open to fresh ideas, thinks outside the box and excited by change
- The ability to self-motivate and time-manage effectively
- Driven to understand the ’why’ behind everything and ability to use this to problem solve
- Revel in being a playful geek - you never shy away from a challenge and make magical things happen regularly