Apprentice Civil Engineer
Vacancy with Costain Group, working on the CVB Joint Venture on the Tideway East Project
Civil Engineering Apprentice
Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician
This is an important role providing significant support to the DEPCS & EARPS site Project Manager and engineering team. Whilst leaning on the job you will work towards a Level 3 Civil Engineering Technician
The role requires an individual who has an interest in Engineering and is eager to learn. It is important that the person has good mathematic skills, can communicate effectively with others and follow instructions whilst taking responsibility for their own and others safety.
- Earl Pumping Station
- Deptford Church Street
Costain offers a market leading salary and benefits package which vary according to role and level of apprenticeship which may include: Excellent Basic salary, matched employer contributions to a stakeholder pension of up to 10% of salary, subsidised medical and dental care. An opportunity to share in the success of the business through our employee share scheme, an employee assistance programme, enhanced maternity provision including a return to work bonus, 25 days holiday with an option to purchase more and up to two days of paid time as a 'Volunteer'.
Costain is one of the UK's leading engineering solution providers, delivering integrated consulting, project delivery and operations and maintenance services to major blue-chip customers in targeted market sectors
The Tideway Project:
River Thames is at the heart of London, but in recent years it has often been overlooked.
Tideway wants to help change all that. We are recruiting talented people to help us deliver our ambition of re-invigorating a much under-used social, environmental and economic asset.
CVB will be delivering the East Section of a new tunnel to protect the tidal River Thames from the tens of millions of tonnes of sewage pollution discharged into it every year, via overflow points built into the capital's overstretched, largely Victorian sewerage network.
The Thames Tideway Tunnel is one of the largest construction projects of its type in Europe. Main construction work on the tunnel, starting in 2016, will take up to seven years to complete.
But it's not just an engineering project, it's about building a London that meets the needs of generations to come.
More importantly, we want to reconnect London with its river.
- Assist with setting out
- Preparation of work plans and reports
- Assist with developing construction methods
- Assist with the preparation of briefings
- Site reporting and monitoring of site progress
- Site inspections and surveys
- Assist with monitoring and ensuring the works are carried out safely and to design requirements
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to safety
- Contribute to safety initiatives
- Promote and maintain a positive safety culture on the project
- Do not ignore unsafe behaviour
- Proactively take measures to eliminate/ minimise potential environmental impacts
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to environmental issues
- To follow project Quality procedures
- Be responsible for the quality of your own work
- Willingness to learn and continuous improvement
- Understands key milestones and priorities
- Work to the deadlines required by your manager
Communication/ Teamwork :
- Act in the best interests of the Project in all dealings with the client, suppliers, workforce and public
- Able to work collaboratively within a team to achieve deadlines
- Good level of written and spoken English
- Good attendance and timekeeping essential
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge
- 5 GCSEs A*-C grades, including English, science and maths. Minimum grade B GCSE.
- Appreciation for civil engineering
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings (training shall be provided)
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Competent user of Microsoft Office packages in particular Excel
- Good standards of written and verbal communication
- High motivated
- AutoCAD (desirable)
- MicroStation (desirable)