Bid Manager - Electronic Systems
Initially a 3 month contract, subject to usual extension depending on workload
The company are world-leaders in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide. Their employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of the people gives them their competitive edge.
Purpose of Position:
The Bid Manager's role is to track a qualified opportunity, working within Business Development to share requirements and develop a solution, then respond in the agreed time frame to tender requests with winning, executable and profitable bids. The role will require a balanced mix of business development, technical competence, commercial awareness plus project management and people management skills. A wide variety of tender requests are received, ranging from high-value single-line opportunities to full competitive pursuits. The role will include working with the capability teams to develop a product strategy establishing a 'back office sales' function.
- To be the Bid Manager of one or more concurrent proposals related, usually from before RFQ receipt through to contract award and handover to the Project Manager
- Delivering winning proposals in both follow-on and competitive contexts
- Adherence and excellence within the company Business Acquisition Process
- Develop and manage positive working relationships with the relevant internal managers and with the customer community
- Responsible for bid resource management and cost control
- Responsible for professional and successful tender reviews with appropriate company decisions-makers
- Act as a 'Champion' for raising the quality, sales content and consistency of proposals
- Working with the Programme Managers to develop existing contracts and follow on opportunities
- Identify market developments and support Business Development Managers in pursue of opportunities which arise
- Gather market intelligence to identify future in-segment market opportunities, and R&D opportunities.
- Develop, build and maintain both new and existing customer relationships, as well as establishing and sustaining wider relationships in the UK defence sector in order to promote new business and to significantly shape their thinking.
- Develop new ways of promoting the company
Required Skills and Abilities:
- 5 years experience in all aspects of competitive bids and project management within the defence environment
- Enthusiasm, energy and drive with an engaging personality
- Personal commitment and dedication to closing competitive opportunities
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Trusted to handle sensitive and competitive information, and to use it to develop and enact winning business strategies
- Proven ability to work methodically and effectively within constrained cost and time budgets
- Experience within a design and development environment
- Team working
- Trusted with sound judgement
- Eligible for the relevant security clearance
Education / Experience:
- Understanding of the UK Defence marketplace, particularly in Avionics
- Preferably knowledge in both the civil and military aviation sectors
- Experience working with platform primes
- Knowledge in the field of avionics mission systems
- Demonstrable experience in product development
If you feel that this role doesn't match your skills and expertise, please visit www.sammons.co.uk for a variety of Permanent, Temporary and Contract vacancies.
We endeavour to reply to all applications. However if you have not heard from us within 7 days you have been unsuccessful with this particular role. You are very welcome to apply to future advertisements placed by The Sammons Group.
The Sammons Group is an Employment Business and Employment Agency as defined by the EAA Regulations 2003, and we abide by the Code of Practice of our industry body (the Recruitment & Employment Confederation - REC).
We are committed to supporting and promoting diversity in the workplace, and welcome applications from candidates regardless of age, belief, disability, ethnic origin/nationality, gender/gender reassignment, marital/civil partnership status, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation - we recruit on the basis of talent. If you require reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We regret that as a recruitment consultancy we are unable to seek visas for applicants not holding current entitlement to work in the UK.