General Manager Guildford C£70k per annum plus benefits
Reporting directly to the Board, the ideal candidate will have proven experience in a senior management team, within in a challenging "hard" engineering setting such as the Power Generation or Military Engineering sectors. The role will encompass the day to day management of the company including supervision of all administrative work, H&S, marketing, financial and auditing. The General Manager is expected to uphold the high quality and H&S standards implemented by the company owner/Technical Director.
The General Manager will have the support of the Technical Manager and Specialist Project Manager, who look after the day-to-day delivery of our services and products.
The job entails
- Liaising with potential and new clients to introduce, demonstrate and sell the company’s services and supporting the Business Development Director in this role.
- Overseeing the workflow plan of the company, scheduling relevant reporting and management tasks.
- Leadership: provide and seek out continuing education opportunities to foster a growth mindset.
- Delegation: identify the best person (or people) for a particular task and act as a facilitator to motivate and direct the work.
- Over-arching supervision of the training and hiring of new staff and operatives.
- Over-seeing the company’s Quality Programme and translating this into practical results.
- Creating the strategic approach to company performance and business planning.
- Time management: prioritize tasks to ensure that projects are completed by deadlines, streamline processes to maximize productivity.
- Negotiation and mediation: find opportunities to resolve conflicts efficiently and favourably
- Decision-making: weigh the costs and benefits of various options to determine the best course of action to achieve company goals.
- Problem-solving: analyse past and current performance and recommend objectives to improve productivity and profitability.
- Communicate and embody the company vision and values.
You will fulfil the following essential requirements
- Have 5-7 years’ experience working in a senior position in a challenging "hard" engineering setting such as the Power Generation or Military Engineering sectors
- Have experience of providing leadership at all levels of the organization
- Be safety conscious and able to demonstrate competence in the planning and execution of all H&S aspects of the company
- Hold an Honours Degree in Mechanical (or Process) Engineering or equivalent vocational training. Knowledge of conventional electricity generation or waste to energy/biomass boiler systems would be advantageous
- Excellent communication skills and deductive reasoning.
- Have a clean driving licence, valid passport and be prepared to work away from home occassionally
- Have good Microsoft Office experience (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Calendars)
The following requirements are an advantage
- Have engineering management and technical sales experience and possess a sound grasp of commercial priorities and service development
- A NEBOSH certificate
- Work experience with steam raising boilers
- ISO9001 Practical experience