Associate Solicitor - Projects Team
Fixed Term 1 Year Contract
Salary: £46,000 - £69,100 + benefits
Full Time, 37 hours per week
Based at County Hall, Chelmsford
The Projects Team at ELS advise on complex and innovative major projects for Essex County Council and other public bodies. We offer interesting and varied work, an opportunity to impact the local government landscape to achieve improved outcomes for residents and advice on new and innovative contracting and sourcing solutions.
In addition, we offer the added benefit of flexible and mobile working arrangements.
As an Associate Solicitor you will provide a legal service to all directorates of the County Council and external clients as necessary.
* Leading in the provision of legal advice and other legal services in relation to the delivery of the County Council's major projects and general commercial work.
* Giving direction on Governance issues.
* Taking a major role in the provision of a comprehensive legal service to the Council's directorates and external clients.
* Dealing with all work efficiently and cost effectively achieving the purposes of the customer in each case.
* Responsibility for the drafting of agreements, reports and contracts.
* Leading or assisting (as appropriate) the Senior Management Team on specific projects associated with the functions of the Service.
* Assisting in the training and development of staff in Essex Legal Services by way of presenting training courses and assisting on training and development in more informal ways as and when necessary.
* Adopting a pro-active approach in the work, being accountable to the Senior Management Team of Essex Legal Services and making recommendations in relation to improvement in the practice and procedures of the Service.
* Undertaking such other specific work as may be allocated from time to time at the direction of senior managers.
* The postholder is required to comply with relevant professional rules of conduct at all times.
* The postholder is required to show a commitment to personal development through continuing professional development and annual performance competencies.
* The postholder is required to support and promote the values of the County Council through conduct at work and relationships with colleagues.
* In the event of it being considered in the interests of the Service, it is open to the County Solicitor to deploy the postholder to another legal team in the office so as to vary the duties of the post.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Qualified Solicitor or Barrister
* To have experience in major projects work, procurement law and commercial law
* General local government law experience may be an advantage
* Knowledge of project management or experience of working in a project environment.
* Some travelling will be required; therefore candidates will either require a driving licence or be expected to travel via public transport or make suitable travel arrangements when necessary.
* Some out of hours work may be required.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should you role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS Update Service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees. This includes:
* A Local Government pension scheme
* Interest free bus & rail season ticket loans, from £100 - £5,000
* Childcare voucher scheme
* Excellent opportunities for personal & professional development through our specialist L&D teams
* Extensive induction programmes
* At least 25 days annual leave + 8 bank holiday days (rising to 29 days dependant on grade & length of service)
* Continuous service benefits
* Staff discounts in gyms / travel agents / car sales / restaurants & days out
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.