Assistant Investment Executive
This is a really interesting role for someone who is loooking for a varied and challenging job working with SMEs in the local region. This will suit a newly qualified accountant with a commercial outlook or a relationship manager working in a Corporate or Commercial Bank.
Our client is a fund manager that is going through an exciting period of growth and they are looking for the right people to join their team.
Job Purpose: The New Investments team is responsible for investing the majority of total investments made in Wales. Its mandate is to target solely new business, which then gets passed to one of the portfolio teams to manage. The sourcing, appraising and completion of a wide range of transactions, from £100,000 to £3,000,000, is fundamental to its operation and the wider objectives of the group. The post holder will need to build close working relationships internally and with external business introducers and service providers to increase their market knowledge and ability to provide added value to potential clients. A comprehensive understanding of customer requirements and priorities will be key in ensuring excellent customer service and meeting Finance Wales’ investment criteria. The post holder will hold well developed inter personal and problem solving ability. Strong banking technical skills, attention to detail and a proactive, hands on approach are also essential prerequisites for this role. We would expect the candidate to develop into a full Investment Executive in a maximum of 3 years.
Main Duties and responsibilities: • Contribute to the New Investments team financial target, playing a key role in delivering timely and excellent customer service.
• Identifying opportunities for funding, carrying out financial analysis and making sound commercial decisions via detailed sanction reports for the line/fund manager.
• Understand and assess underlying cashflow assumptions and comment on the risks associated with these and suggest and analyse appropriate sensitivity analysis.
• Take responsibility for the creation of covenants and the setting of limits. Liaise closely with portfolio teams as appropriate.
• Appraise investment proposals up to £200,000. Investments will be made under commercial terms and in line with the criteria set out in the relevant Investment Operating Guidelines.
• Work with Investment Executives in the New Investments Team to assist in the assessment and completion of due diligence and assess risks attendant with aspects of each investment. This will include conducting thorough and robust management, financial and commercial due diligence when considering investment opportunities.
• Prepare sanction reports for credit sanction and present findings to Investment Committee.
• Fully understand and be involved in, the negotiation of commercial terms and translate these in to legal instructions.
• Liaise with external due diligence providers, scoping work assignments and negotiating best value for money for customers.
• Taking responsibility for the completion of deals over £500,000, ensuring that customer service standards are achieved whilst acting commercially supporting the customer through difficult situations ensuring timely feedback to appropriate parties and signing off all CPs have been met.
• Be decisive in decision making, taking personal responsibility and being prepared to have potentially difficult conversations with clients.
• Liaise with the teams within the wider organisation, dealing with, and taking responsibility for, legal/security aspects.
• Maintain and develop industry knowledge and understand best practice in investment activity.
• Participate and where appropriate, represent the organisation at meetings, seminars, events and joint group activities.
• Contribute to the marketing/promotion .
• Develop and enhance reputation as a professional investment provider,
• Any task as defined by the Fund Manager to meet the operational needs of the department. Knowledge, Skills Abilities and Experience Essential
• Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently without supervision. Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work. • Understanding of financial information and analysis • Results focused. • Strong team player • The ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and meet targets. Drive and determination to complete work to a consistently high standard. • Good communication, influencing and interpersonal skills. Strong problem solving skills. • Previous experience of credit report preparation • Understanding of risk assessment and investment processes • Confident decision making capability • Ability to assess investment proposals and conduct due diligence. • Excellent report writing skills. • Experience of working in a relationship management role within a bank or similar financial environment and in particular experience of analysing financial information. • IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office packages. • Relevant professional qualification or relevant industry experience in banking or accountancy. Desirable • Bank/funding experience • Experience of investing/lending money to SMEs • Understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance • Understanding of regional business environment • Welsh Speaker • Driving licence • IT literate to include the use of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Sage Winforecast.