Finance Manager/ Business Partner up to £46.5k plus excellent holidays and pension
We are looking for a QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANT to work in a large organisation known for its flexible working environment.
The position is Finance Manager - Research & Grants, a role within the Finance Department.
The Research & Grants team provides a complete support and guidance service to project managers and other stakeholders on the financial aspects of our research & grants activities. Research & Grant activities currently make up 10% of the income and is targeted as an area of growth. The successful candidate will be expected to lead a team of Research and Grants officers responsible for ensuring that they proactively manage the financial aspects of its research & grant activities. Working in a team environment, you will be primarily responsible for the following:
- To act as the subject expert on the funding rules associated with research & grants. This will include initial training and ongoing support and guidance to ensure that projects remain compliant and deliver against targets.
- To provide specialist advice, guidance and support to project/programme managers throughout the project life cycle to ensure a high standard of financial management and a successful project overall.
- To be an integral part of the approval process for all new research & grant projects
- To provide timely and accurate management information for project managers and senior management within the faculties and report performance against budget to directors and other senior managers on all research & grant activity.
- To manage the production of financial claims for each project/programme in line with the requirements of the funding organisation and external and internal auditors, minimising the cashflow impact for the University.
- To deal with any day to day general budgetary and financial issues in relation to projects.
- The range of stakeholders within this area is large. The post holder must establish and maintain relationships with external funding providers; external project partners; external auditors as well as a wide range of internal teams.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide financial information to programme managers and senior management within the University to promote sound financial control and improve decision making.
- Represent the University on financial matters at project/programme management meetings with partner organisations where appropriate.
- Review / feedback / approve all new research & grant projects
- Review and develop monitoring & reporting processes in line with changes to funding mechanisms to enable the University to comply with the requirements / regulations applicable to a wide range of grant / research projects.
- Provide tailored guidance and advice relating to the criteria applicable to projects from a variety of funding streams thus ensuring the University remains compliant. E.g. eligibility of expenditure, match funding issues, monitoring of expenditure against budget.
- Oversee the financial planning, recording and reporting of research & grants projects ensuring the highest level of integrity for our financial records
- Manage the preparation and submission of precise and timely financial returns to WEFO and other external funders, ensuring all expenditure submitted meets appropriate eligibility criteria.
- Work closely with internal, external and European auditors as and when required, providing responses to audit reports as and when necessary.
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the post as may be required.