Legal Accounts Assistant/Cashier
Due to retirement, a new position has arisen within our client's accounts team.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious, determined, self-motivated candidate wanting to join an exciting and dynamic law firm.
The firm itself operates as are a close knit team and has a proven record in offering staff good opportunities to progress.
The role is open to Accounts Assistants with the following:
- A minimum of 1 year's accounts experience, preferably obtained in a Solicitor's office.
- Experience of using legal accounting software, bank electronic payment software and BACS payment software is essential.
- GCSE maths and English at grade C or above preferred.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work to a daily routine and prioritise additional tasks received.
- Good organisational skills.
- A good working knowledge of the Solicitors Account Rules - essential.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines.
- Competence in MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
Applicants must be confident, articulate and adept in obtaining (and where necessary challenging) information on their own initiative in order to progress processing, meet targets and ensure compliance with the firm's procedures and the Solicitors' Accounts
Tasks will involve any number of the following:
- Posting office and client receipts to the accounts system (Indigo)
- Checking and posting invoices/bills
- Transferring money between company bank accounts
- Preparing and executing CHAPS and BACS receipts and payments
- Entering card payments onto the system
- Dealing with weekly bank reconciliations
- Writing cheques
- Dealing with internal and external enquires
- Ensuring compliance at all times with the Solicitors' Accounts Rules
- Filing all transaction paperwork promptly
- Entering write-offs on the system following authorisation by a director
- Assisting with preparation for Solicitors Accounts Rules (SAR) audits, Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) audits and other quality audits as required
- Preparing monthly reports for directors as and when required
- Ensuring compliance with anti-money laundering procedures and reporting any issues of concern to the money laundering reporting officer
- Ensuring that all client money and cheques are banked promptly
- Assisting with archiving and ensuring all completed matters are closed in a timely manner
- Checking completion statements
- Obtaining billing guides for fee earners when requested
- Following procedures outlined in the office manual
- Alerting the IT co-ordinator to network problems
- Co-operating with all other relevant personnel/departments as necessary
- Attending any training or development activity as reasonably requested by the directors
- Undertaking such other tasks as the directors and fee earners may reasonably require.
Salary between £17,000 and £19,000.
Stated PQE and salary levels are for guidance only. All applications demonstrating the skills necessary to fulfil the role will be considered
Up to £250 paid in vouchers for successful referrals. Terms and conditions apply, please ask for details.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply through the advert or contact Nick Tappin at Thornton Legal directly. All applications treated in strictest confidence.
Thornton Legal has strong relationships with law firms of all sizes and specialisms in the North West. We help build the careers of Solicitors, Paralegals and Legal Assistants across a broad range of experience levels and we would be delighted to work with you now or in the future.