Legal Specialist - Data Protection
Data Protection Legal Specialist
Position: Data Protection - Legal Specialist
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: £45,000 to £50,000
Location: Central London
Outstanding opportunity to join one of the leading providers of Data Protection assessment, training and consultancy services in Ireland and the UK, and offers its services to clients who are leaders in their respective industries and sectors.
Our services are designed to understand IT, business and reputational risks, to determine acceptable levels of exposure and to work with our clients to implement appropriate solutions and on-going controls.
Context & Purpose of the Role
We are seeking to hire a Legal Specialist with experience in Data Protection to join our growing team in Dublin and London. The Legal Specialist will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Legal Specialist will work with clients to assess their Data Protection exposures, identify areas for action, consider the legal aspects of their data management structures, and provide legal support as they implement appropriate process, system and contractual structures in order to be compliant with the relevant DP legislation.
The role will influence the end-to-end process from needs assessment, through recommendations and solution design, to ongoing support of an embedded, compliant culture within the client organisation. The Legal Specialist will need to be influential at the most senior levels of the business.
Key areas of focus for the role over the coming months will be ensuring that our clients are preparing appropriately for the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation while remaining compliant under existing legislation.
The role requires a sound, qualified knowledge of the UK and wider European DP legislation, excellence in time management and communication, a practical mind-set, and a proven track record of advising on the implementation of a suite of compliant policies and contracts within an operational, commercial environment.
The successful candidate should hold a recognised legal qualification, and have significant exposure to data protection issues.
Experience of interaction with the Information Commissioner’s Office (UK) or the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (Rep of Ireland) will be considered a distinct advantage.
The individual will be capable of delivering results, both cross-functionally and cross jurisdictionally.
Specific Responsibilities Will Include:
Assess the data management activities of client organisations with reference to current legislation, as well as the known obligations of the General DP Regulation (GDPR)
- Consideration of multi-jurisdictional compliance implications across Groups and dispersed business units
- Liaison with the clients’ internal Legal and Compliance functions in the design and delivery of appropriate, compliant solutions.
- Implementation of legal and policy structures to comply with new EU General Data Protection Regulatory obligations
- Be influential at both Board and senior management levels to ensure the support necessary for a compliant DP regime
- Demonstrate strong organisational skills in guiding and advising Operational and Compliance activities within the client organisation
- Liaison with key client stakeholders, in order to design and deploy appropriate Data Processor contracts and data protection policies where required, taking full account of upcoming regulatory and legislative requirements.
- Develop monitoring programmes to track adherence to the policies on a risk- based approach
- Input to the design and provisioning of training to client management and staff in order to improve their understanding of their data protection obligations
- Provide guidance on best practice in relation to the management of customer information, including the implementation of appropriate structures in areas such as social media, marketing, website content and other strategic client initiatives
Key Skills & Experience
- A qualified solicitor with practical exposure to data protection challenges within an commercial, operational environment
- An experienced data protection professional with a track record in translating legal and regulatory requirements into practical, operational solutions
- Ability to demonstrate technical knowledge and awareness of current data management and communications technologies
- Assertive and confident, able to operate credibly within different hierarchical levels, and with a broad range of stakeholders
- Strong writing, presentation and communication skills: the ability to accurately identify and explain key issues and communicate them in an accessible manner
- Professional and well-developed influencing skills
- Experience of a range of commercial working environments, from retail and public sector to not-for-profit and e-commerce.