Sophisticated Credit Controller - B2C
Credit Controller -
We seek a senior credit controller to manage the collection of Fees for the UK's leading independent school network. This organisation has over 3600 staff and nearly 20000 pupils between the ages of three and 18.
This is a senior level and responsible credit control role within a team of just four people. Each person manages their own workload and makes sure all core tasks are completed on time. It requires a proactive and professional approach, with a polite and positive style. Also required is common sense, and the ability to focus and work well under pressure.
The location is Central London.
Credit Controller Responsibilities
- Identifying Overdue accounts by producing a default list (Aged Debt) via the computer or diary system
- Initiating standard reminders in accordance with a strict timetable
- Drafting and sending non-standard letters and emails relating to arrears/disputes/queries
- Processing debit/credit card payments for accounts severely in arrears
- Negotiating with late payers by letter, email and telephone, keeping up to date records for accounts on SIMS database
- Dealing with general enquiries by telephone, email, letter about fee-related matters. In addition to prospective parents and general customer service questions
- Liaising with school Admin staff and Heads (re- potential exclusion of pupils due to arrears) - referral of exclusion accounts to the Fees Collection Manager/Assistant Head of Fees and if a permanent exclusion case the Chief Executive
- Liaising with other Departments within Trust Office on any fee-related issues
- In consultation with the Fees Collection Manager and the Legal Team re: Legal action being taken, preparing a Legal file to pass to a Legal Advisor
- Actively use SharePoint for collaboration tasks
- Assisting with the preparation of termly E-billing, out sorting paper bills where required
- Preparation of statistics, financial and other information required on a half term basis
- Provide accurate monthly reports to Heads
- Keeping an up to date / ongoing arrears list
- Attend termly debtor meetings with the Fees Collection Manager, attend any other meetings when necessary
- Adhere to Data Protection requirements
- Any other duties required
Credit Controller Personal Specification
- Confident self-starter with the ability to take ownership and successfully complete tasks within challenging timeframes
- Organised and able to effectively prioritise workload
- Possess a strong team ethos and be pro active
- Supervisory experience useful but not essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels
- Professional telephone manner and ability to ask challenging questions
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook skills.
Credit Controller Advantageous Experience
Business to Consumer credit control experience which aimed to be sensitive to the needs of the customer and protect the reputation of the organisation, not just working to financial targets.
Able to demonstrate empathy and diplomacy - you will be talking to customers about school fees and the delicate matter of their children’s education. You will also need the ability to speak confidently, and write accurately and formally in your dealings with Head Teachers, members of school boards and other senior managers.
Relevant credit control experience: perhaps from education, health, housing, welfare, care-home, or similar, as this might transfer well to the sensitive task of collecting school fees from parents and guardians.
Alternatively, someone who deals with high net-worth individuals (e.g. the customers of luxury services, law firms, accountancy practices, auctioneers, firms of architects or similar), requiring a tactful and diplomatic approach to credit control.
Whatever your background, superb communication skills, empathy and diplomacy are vital, together with the need to be proactive, polite, professional and positive.
Salary is up to £30k.
Hours: Full-time permanent (Monday to Friday; 9am to 5pm).
Benefits - Generous, to include contributory pension; 50% staff discount and salary sacrifice on school fees; 30 days holiday per annum, interest-free season ticket loan and Childcare Vouchers
Please provide a covering note indicating your notice period, current salary, and salary expectations for a move. Please explain why you are seeking a new position and indicate your earliest availability for interview. Please attach your CV as a Word document.