Business & Consumer Communications Internship
Job Description and Person Specification
Business & Consumer Communications Internship
Please send a CV and covering letter, outlining how you meet the criteria stated in the Person Specification and responsibilities of the role. Please also include a short section in your covering letter explaining to us what woods and trees mean to you.
We expect your CV to be honest and accurate. Before offering this post, we will check material facts recorded on your CV and covering letter. We may also ask you to undertake an online assessment as part of the short-listing process.
Interviews for short-listed candidates will be held on 5th and 6th September 2017. If necessary, please indicate which of these dates is more convenient to you. Otherwise we will assume you are available for interview on either day.
Introduction to the role:
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is an international organisation dedicated to ensuring that forests are managed in a responsible manner across the globe. FSC UK, based in Llanidloes, Powys, is one of the larger national offices. FSC UK is a registered charity responsible for promoting the FSC’s aims and objectives throughout the United Kingdom.
FSC UK is introducing an Internship Programme which will offer a hands-on opportunity to work in the environmental charity sector whilst developing professional skills and competencies. This will provide a unique experience designed to enhance the professional development and functioning of the successful candidate whilst offering an opportunity to meet contacts and build a professional network.
The Business & Consumer Communications Intern will provide general support to the FSC UK team and specific support to the FSC UK Communications Manager on agreed projects. He/she will also assist with the administration of the Trademark Service Programme.
Main purpose and responsibilities of the role:
- Assist in the smooth and efficient running of the FSC UK office
- Handle general telephone and email enquiries and information requests from individuals
Website and Social Media
- Provide FSC UK website administration support
- Manage FSC UK Twitter platform and other social media platforms, as required, in line with FSC UK digital strategy. Work closely with Communications Manager to review social media performance and adjust plans or strategies to optimise reach
Publications and Copywriting
- Forest Matters (our bimonthly magazine) administration
- Originate and adapt written content, as required
- Support the production of consumer and business-facing materials by populating existing resource templates
- Monitor and regularly record stocks of printed, display and other materials to ensure adequate stocks are maintained.
Campaigns & Events
- Administration of FSC Friday in the UK
- In conjunction with other staff, assist with the preparation of specific campaigns and exhibitions
- Attend events and meetings, as required.
- Administration of FSC Single-use trademark licences in the UK
- Support the Trademark Service Programme by collating, verifying and recording data
- Other duties as required
Education, training and qualifications:
- A good general level of education (at least 3 A levels or equivalent)
- An existing understanding of FSC
- Degree or equivalent level of knowledge acquired through experience and training/development
Skills and knowledge:
- Excellent IT skills
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel
- Good organisational skills
- Excellent written communication
- Good verbal communication
- Experienced in the use of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Familiarity with and experience using Twitter and/or other social media platforms
- Managing organisational social media pages
- Website and/or blog administration (WYSIWYG)
- Customer services
- Experience of planning and/or undertaking campaigns and/or events experience
- Patient and polite
- Good telephone manner
- Flexible attitude to working environment and ability to work as part of a small and dynamic team
- A positive, enthusiastic approach
- Self-motivated and self-reliant
- A positive attitude towards routine tasks
- Relate to the ethos of responsible forest management
- Ability to follow instructions and accept guidance
- Attention to detail and ability to undertake and manage accurate recording and reporting of information
- Ability to maintain good working relationships.
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to prioritise own workload