Production/Manufacturing Manager - Structural Steel (Director Designate)
OC2 is engaged by a leading UK Structural Steel Fabricator to source and appoint a Production Manager (Director designate) with extensive experience who can add value to the manufacturing operations as the business expands. Our client provides turnkey solutions for some of the most complex and technically challenging steel structures Nationally.
They possess a strong reputation for constructional engineering excellence and have grown to achieve annual sales of approximately £16Mn+ in a very short period of time. With plans to further develop the business, this progressive operation has identified a need to acquire a talented professional who can help the business achieve further growth through optimising their fabrication facility.
The business is investing in a new production facility which will increase production capacity by more than 500% and provide scope to have manufacturing shifts running 24 hours per day. The goal is to appoint an experienced manufacturing professional who will ensure the business delivers quality, on time product to a variety of sectors. Two production facilities provide the opportunity to diversify into bespoke markets whilst growing the core primary and secondary steel markets. With interest from International client’s, there is also scope to export in the future.
The position will require a visionary to primarily take the lead role in forward business planning whilst delivering existing commitments to the highest of standards. The ability to develop and execute a strategy that manages existing projects whilst focussing on business growth is essential for the client. This position requires a problem solver who commands respect and can lead the shop floor effectively.
Responsible to the Operations Director and owners of the business. The duties and responsibilities include:
- Take a lead role in conjunction with the Directors to develop the organisations manufacturing ability
- Optimise the supply chain for the benefit of the business.
- Manage the existing workforce and identify areas for upskilling.
- Prepare and deliver high level presentations.
- Organise all fabrication so that primary and secondary steel capacity is increased in conjunction with creating opportunities for product diversification.
The key skills and competences for the role are as follows:
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic.
- Able to communicate with individuals and clients at all levels.
- Possess multiple skill sets.
- Possess a strong network of shop floor professionals that can be leveraged to add further value to the organisations recruitment strategy (the new facility provides scope for 50 additional hires).
- Qualified through experience. The preferred candidate will be someone who has worked on the tools and progressed from the shop floor into management.
- Knowledge of fabricating for other sectors (in addition to structural steel) i.e. oil & gas, industrial etc. is important (the business plans to diversify across multiple industries).
- Able to prepare and deliver presentations and be able to explain technical details if required.
- Able to prepare and deliver appropriate management reports to board level.
- Able to co-ordinate and manage internal & external (sub contract) resources.
- Able to conduct themselves with the necessary degree of professionalism.
- Able to work autonomously with little support (a problem solver).
- A proven, sustained track record of achieving success in fabrication roles is essential.
The purpose of this appointment is to enable the Operations Director to focus on strategic growth whilst the successful candidate takes accountability for all fabrication activities and drives output.
The role will be based at the client’s HQ.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional candidate who understands steelwork fabrication, understands additional/product fabrication processes and has ambition to further develop their career. Manufacturing experience will be scrutinised at interview stage. Achieving success in this role will lead to a Directorship. This is a fantastic opportunity for a candidate with ambition to prove themselves to the business owners. Success will see the incumbent assume absolute responsibility for all manufacturing undertaken by the business and this can be achieved in a relatively short period of time.
Should you possess the ability to demonstrate that you are a manufacturing expert and can help push this businesses fabrication to the next level, we welcome your application.