Junior Mechanical Design Engineer - Edinburgh - up to £28,000
Enigma People Solutions is looking for a Junior Mechanical Engineer to join the Module R&D team of our multinational electronics client’s Imaging Division based in Edinburgh. Our client designs and develops precision opto-mechanical assemblies incorporating silicon sensors to produce state-of-the-art high performance SPAD-based Time of Flight ranging, and other photonic modules.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be part of the Module R&D Design Group based in Edinburgh.
The Module R&D Design Group, part of the wider Imaging Division, design and develop precision optomechanical assemblies incorporating silicon sensors to produce state-of-the-art high performance Time of Flight (ToF) ranging modules.
With a strong design emphasis on cost and industrialization for very high volume, our products are developed
using state of the art materials, components and precision automated assembly processes.
The role involves the design of integrated circuit packaging suitable for use in ToF systems. The packaging forms an integral part of the optical component integration and thermal management
of the module.
It will require detailed mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks) to explore concept designs, assist in
the development of products for mass production and to take a key role within the Group for component and
product drawings and mechanical documentation.
The key responsibilities of the role include
- Mechanical design for electro-optical modules for ToF applications
- Detailed 3D modelling and generation of formal 2D drawings for use within marketing material to
- customers, supplier specifications and production manufacturing facilities
- Design for high volume manufacturing with process tolerances and design for automated assembly
- Cross-team collaboration with optical design, assembly process engineering, product engineering
- Verification of mechanical designs with suitable metrology and characterisation methods
- The role will require collaboration across a wide range of disciplines, including Optical Design, Silicon Design,Production and Quality.
The role will also include the opportunity for travel to suppliers, subcontractors and manufacturing sites.
The candidate should have relevant educational and preferably some industrial placement experience.
Ideally the candidate would have experience or understanding of
- DFMEA and SPC techniques
- 3D Modelling in CAD software
- Tolerance analysis of designs to suit manufacturing process
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills
- CAD literacy in SolidWorks or similar
- Thermal analysis
- Material science (Thermosets/plastics)
- Solid Mechanics
- Design Engineering
Income Protection - 2/3rds base salary if permanently unable to work
Life Assurance - 4x annual salary
Private Medical Insurance - fully expensed for family (pay only the taxable benefit)
Free Health Check-ups - every two years Stakeholder Pension - up to 7.5% from the company
Pension Salary Sacrifice - we give 100% of NI saving (12.8%)
Flexible Holiday - buy or sell up to 5 days
Cycle Scheme - save ~50% on a bike
Child Care Vouchers - tax efficient child care
Accident Insurance - up to 5x salary Social Club - subsidised membership
Apply today by clicking the button below, or alternatively apply with your CV and a cover email highlighting any additional information in support of your application to Matt at Enigme People Solutions.