Graduate Web Support Developer
The University of London is looking for a Graduate Web Support Developer to join the Software Services Team.
This will be a 6 month internship initially, with the view to extending / becoming a permanent position in the long term if the internship is successful.
We are looking at a start date of 1st August 2017.
· We want to create a team of outstanding developers to help the University of London build and run great digital services for students, academics and beyond. Students are at the heart of everything we do, so this is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic, digitally minded graduate to join a highly skilled team in a fast paced digital development environment.
· Candidates must have a desire to develop further skills in frontend or backend development (or both) and be ready to quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team of developers, designers, editors and analysts focused on one or more products or projects.
· Day to day you will be providing support to internal and external clients to help solve issues and improve existing products, platforms and applications.
· Your role will be largely autonomous so you must be comfortable working independently at times.
· You will be given support and guidance, as well as the freedom to take on new challenges and own / build / create functionality to be used by thousands of people.
· The main responsibilities of the post are:
· Manage and maintain database in SQL
· Provide support in Linux and Microsoft Windows to CMS websites such as Wordpress, Umbraco and Typo3
· Be involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
· Shareknowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team, both developers and non-developers
· Work across products & services, based on the needs of the Head of Software Services
· Gain a detailed understanding and experience of front-end web development (HTML/CSS/JS) and back-end development (C#, .NET, PHP)
· Use version control systems such as SVN or Git
· Make sure that all websites are secure and up-to-date through recurring penetration-testing
- Degree in IT, Computing, Web Development or other related subject
- At least 1-2 years of experience would be ideal.
- C#/.net, SQL, HTML and Wordpress experience is essential
- The candidate must have knowledge or experience in some of the following:
- Exposure and/or interest in PHP and responsive design
- Enthusiastic and passionate about technology and high quality development
- Passion for website analytics and a high regard for exceptional user experience
- Great attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
£27,000 - £31,000 Pro-rata, depending on experience