Submarine Safety Group Deputy Head of Department
Submarine Safety Group Deputy Head of Department - Bristol
A market leading FTSE 100 Defence organisation is currently looking for an experienced Safety Professional to take on a permanent position as the Submarine Safety Group Deputy Head of Department ASAP. The company is highly regarded for its employee recognition and vital position in today's market place. You will be a driven individual who is looking to work in a fast paced environment with supportive team in a diverse and challenging environment.
The In-Service Submarine Platform Engineering team provide post-design engineering support services, applying their initiative and expertise to think out the engineering challenges that need to be overcome to support the continued delivery of safe, capable and available submarines.
You will be working with a team of engineers (IEng and CEng), managing and delivering a wide range of safety engineering outputs.
The main responsibilities of the role are as follows -
You will be responsible to the Safety Services Head of Department for the delivery of contracted outputs, including project identification, definition, cost control, resource allocation, technical oversight and stakeholder liaison.
You will be responsible for project managing delivery, providing technical review of the team's outputs and for conducting safety engineering projects of higher technical complexity.
You will deputise for the Head of Department in their absence and will continually seek to improve the efficiency and quality of service of the SSG.
The successful candidate will display the following skills and experience -
- Experience of safety management, working on complex engineering/ asset safety and experience in submarine engineering.
- Experienced in managing staff and successfully leading technical teams.
- Technically competent - Able to support the management of safety cases, safety and environmental management systems and providing safety and risk management expertise.
- Experienced in safety engineering you will be confident in the delivery of more complex safety engineering outputs and ensuring that technical outputs from the team are correct, accurate and coherent and meet project performance metrics.
- Communication - A capable communicator at all levels, able to build and sustain effective relationships with the Customer stakeholders, industry partners and across our business.
- A proactive and enthusiastic individual who works well leading technical teams.
- Degree qualified in a relevant Engineering discipline. A lesser formal qualification supported by extensive relevant experience will be considered. (essential)
- The successful individual will be required to hold, or be working towards CEng status with an appropriate professional body. (essential)
- A formal project management qualification would be an advantage as would experience of environmental management. (desirable)
What's on offer:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave
- Competitive pension contribution
- Share Save Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
If you would like to be considered for the aforementioned position please submit an application or contact Tom Dugmore on